1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawnworks, Feb 22, 2001.

1. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I have got to transplant 4 camilias. I am pretty sure they are camilias anyway. I do mostly lawn maintenance, but I have taken a class on installation but didn't learn much anything about transplanting. The plants are about 4-5 ft tall. How much of the root ball should I dig out? Anything I should watch out for?

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

call a local nursery or ag. extention office. They can give you specifics.
  3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I can't answer your specific question, but I can tell you that from what I know there are two type of camellias.

The japonica and the sasanqua.

The japonica come in a wide variety of shades including red, white, pink, striped etc. They prefer a rich moist slightly acid soil in full sun.

The sasanqua are usually white but can be red or pink. They prefer a sunny or partly shady spot with rich soil that ranges from neutral to acidic. No limey soil at all.

So wherever you transplant these, be sure that they are going to be getting the sun. Not full shade.