Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by guntruck, Aug 24, 2001.

1. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

A commercial client of ours wants to rearrange there gardens in front of the rental office. The signs cannot be seen they have ornamental grass about 4 feet tall in front of the sign and about 8 barberrys behind that cannot be seen witht he grasses. I recommended that they be switched when she asked, put the grasses in the back and move the barberrys to the front, good for contrast and placement. She wants it done asap and i told her we should wait till the threat of this heat is gone before transplanting this stuff, what should i do? What is the ideal time and when is a good time it could be done?

2. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

Plants like that you can transplant whenver generally,but fall is almost alwasy best.Can you cut grasses some for now to please the client? Don't forget your gloves for the barberry plants. If you wait till fall, transplant the grasses and split them and charge her to plant else where on property(more money for you).....Good luck
  3. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

Good thinking on the splitting of the grasses!!! They sure could use them in other places for hiding the ped boxes from comcast all over the place!!! Thanks
  4. cleancutdude

cleancutdude LawnSite Member

Good thinking on splitting the clumps .
    Why not pot some up as well
    You can't beat free plants for your next job.
  5. Mack77

Mack77 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I have a customer who wants a few Crimson Barberry plants transplanted. From what i have researched, it is best to do this in the fall, but ultimatally it is he who makes the final decision as to when this gets done. My question is, how likely are these plants to survive if watered regularly, and moved to another location that is similar to their primary placement.

6. wurkn with amish

wurkn with amish LawnSite Senior Member

it helps to spray wilt proof on the leaves to help hold moisture in. Also dig the rootballs oversized to help with the transition. Works for us
    another thing would be to add mycor bacteria to speed up root growth, and it has some water gels in it.
    ps water b4 digging and have the holes ready for the plant to go straight into it. water again
  7. Surf'n'Turf

Surf'n'Turf LawnSite Senior Member

shoot, you'd be hard pressed to kill any ornamental grasses. I removed some and they sat in the back of the truck for a week in the heat and stuck them in my back yard and they are thriving.
  8. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Agreeed.. do it and make sure you do it like quickly so the plants aren't sitting around. Water well ands keep the plants hydrated.