1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Transplating a weepinmg japense red maple.

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Evan528, Sep 28, 2001.

1. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

How much would you charge to transplant this weeping japense red maple. How many many hours would you estimate it taking? It was plating in a horrible spot as you can see. I will be moving to the front of the house where I will make it a focal point in the landscape.
  2. Evan528

heres the picture

3. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

If that's the only thing you'll be doing there, charge 'em $200-250. If it's one of many things you're doing there (i.e. $2-3K in work), I'd charge $75-100.

Either way, do not offer any guarantee on the plant.
  4. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

150.00 or more depending on caliper etc. Like stonehedge said don't guarantee the transplant,explian what could happen etc.
  5. Cheese burger

Cheese burger LawnSite Member

I don't know if the price of the job will support the expense, but consider renting an air spade. This would save alot of the roots and make survival more likely. Looks like a nice tree. It would be expensive to replace (tree plus installation). Consider that when pricing transplant.
  6. Evan528

I priced it at 160 dollars and gave him no garentee of its survival.
  7. Kevin M.

Kevin M. LawnSite Member

I just moved a tree just like that one down here and we charged the guy $ 750 and he didnt blink. We had to dig a massive root ball since this is tree is very specimen tree and it would probably cost in the neighborhood of 2 grand to replace and I also have seen this tree five times in the last eight days and its doing well.
  8. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

Another consideration is doing some root pruning a while prior to actually digging the tree. If the tree is properly, carefully dug and moved, Kevin's price is probably more reflective of the time and effort involved.
  9. Evan528

This tree would only cost about 4-$500 new!
  10. Kevin M.

Kevin M. LawnSite Member

I have a local wholesale nursery tell me they would charge me about 2 grand for this size tree and because it is cutleaf as well.