Transporting a 74" deck?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AbsoluteZzZero, Sep 16, 2005.

1. AbsoluteZzZero

AbsoluteZzZero LawnSite Member

We have a few accounts that are an acre. Right now we are mowing them with a 42" walker(slllooooowwwww), it takes about 2 hours to mow an acre. One of the accounts told us that three of his nieghbors might need lawn care, so theres plenty of buisness that we could use a bigger deck on. My Dad and I were discussing this, and I was wondering how one would transport a 74" walker?? we probably won't go that big, but I would still like to know how to transport such a big deck. :blob3:

2. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Is this a serious question????

A trailer that's 102" wide, with 80"+ inbetween the wheel wells.

3. Sasquatch52

Sasquatch52 LawnSite Member

It takes you 2 hours to mow 1 acre? ;) Ouch. Personally i would recommend either a 52-60" cut. b/c you cut down on less trimming, and you can still use a 52" on smaller residential yards. As for the 74" cut, you would have to at least have a 6.5-7 foot wide trailer. Unless all your cuttin is wide open, large property lots, i would forget the 74". Your lookin at probly a 10-12 thousand dollar mower when you get that big.

One more question, do you have to buy a Walker? What about other brands?

4. AbsoluteZzZero

well, youd have to have a 6.5-7 foot wide trailor. 7' seems kind of wide to me, but maybe Im just cookoo in the head today!

5. Sasquatch52

Yea, and on skinny roads there pretty tight squeezes! :dizzy:

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

You don't. When you start getting into serious sized properties buy a serious ZTR made for those properties. Dixie Chopper, Hustler, Exmark and others build 60" mowers that will run circles around a 74" Walker.

7. AbsoluteZzZero

Yes, it takes 1:45-2:00 hours to mow an acre. Pretty bad, huh?

We already have a walker. We're thinking about the 52", the 74" seems too big. I was just wondering how to transport it because a 7" wide trailor seems like it would take up a LOT of road, but idk.

8. Sasquatch52

Yes, I agree fully.

9. Sasquatch52

I just bought a 52" Exmark Lazer about a month and a half ago, and i totally love it. It is sweeeeeeet! I would recommend it any day of the week. If your getting lots of big accounts, you should consider something like it. I traded in a 36" w/b and i ended up paying $5,200 for a brand new unit. Pretty good deal.

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

So with a 74", what you end up with is a Sloooow mower with a deck that can't fit alot of places. I like the advice that was given above. Get a machine that REALLy built to cut more area and get the job(s) done. Life is short.