Transporting a Walker mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by poghead, Feb 14, 2001.

1. poghead

poghead LawnSite Member

Just got my new Walker 20 hp w/42"ghs. So far so good.Here is my question, What are the pros and cons of hauling the mower on the trailer with the deck raised to save space? Thanks for any input.

Poghead

2. Cleve

Cleve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Rockmart, GA

Don't think there would be any cons to that. Wish I had the fold up deck. Mine is a 94' and doesn't have that feature. Only the time to fold it up and then fold it down would be catch to this. One pro would be that you are able to keep a close eye on the condition of the deck and blades between jobs. Could clear any buildup or even change the blades quickly.
    Cleve....

3. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

PRO- save space CON- you can't sit on it going down the road...

4. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

no problems or issues at all ....and does it help change the blades .....good luck and keep her clean ;-)

5. DimndKutr

DimndKutr LawnSite Member

No problem till you try to haul a 54" or larger deck, they will bend the latch that holds the deck up. Does anybody else have problems with their Walkers rolling around (side to side) on the trailer when you make a turn???

6. JJ Lawn

JJ Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

My 52" deck came with tie down straps. Kind of keeps the deck from bouncing quite so much during travel. Also takes some of the strain off the hook, which IMO could have been made from a little stronger material.

As from keeping the Walker from swinging, put a couple of eye-bolts in the holes in the frame below the box, and attach some kind of tie down on each side to another eye bolt on trailer.

Jim

7. Turfclippings

Turfclippings LawnSite Member

i fasten mine thru the crossbar on top of the deck, works great there. i definitly have to strap it , it does roll.
    i dont have a problem transporting in upright postion. just dont back it down the ramp that way, it might get hung up on the bottom.

8. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with the bracket being too weak but you can always put a tie down strap on it. The only other problem I have with tipping up the deck is last year I broke 2 shear bolts when I tipped up the deck. I think the universal were in just the right spot that they wouldn't swival and broke the bolts. Now I make sure to keep lots of grease on the whole joint so it swivals properly.

9. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

We tranport our Walkers with the decks up, but a learned lesson the brackets can only take so much thrashing in the trailer so we raise deck then use a tie down to take the pressure off the bracket. We can fit 3 Walkers on a 16' trailer to give you an idea!

10. BUSHMASTER

BUSHMASTER LawnSite Senior Member

Lets see transporting a walker... i keep my deck up because if you ever look at the mower going down the road you'll see why the caster bushing in the deck supports and the wheels get beat up...it going side to side ... sounds like a parking brake cable in need of adjustment or broke i have a tie down strap hooked to the trailer rail or a hold down that you mount to the floor and hooked to the hich opening on the back of the mower.