Transporting....Angled or straight????

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by TLS, Dec 20, 2000.

1. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Is it just me that believes when I am transporting my plows down the road, to keep them angled??? My Dad kept his angled ever since I can remember. '59 Jeep station wagon w/ 283 Chevy and a 6.5 Meyer "MANUAL" angle plow (I was angle boy). I see more and more fly-by-nighter landscaper wannabees with brand new trucks and plows buzzing down narrow roads with their blades in the bucking position. It's not too bad with the 7.5'ers, but with those 8.5 to 10'ers on F550's with the blade high and straight!!! I just always thought it was common sense/courtesy to keep it angled to narrow the amount of lane you take up. On my Boss, you are almost forced to keep it Veed so they aren't the problem. Anybody else find this irritating/rude???

Whew....Just needed to get that off my chest!!!

Happy plowing.

[Edited by dixie1 on 12-21-2000 at 01:08 AM]

2. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I would perfer angling a blade. However when you angle a plow one side is much lower than the other. Depending on the roads you are driving down, it may be best to leave the blade straight. I once had a 9' fisher on a GMC 1500 angled and caught a pothole and spun a 360 in the road on the edge of the plow. If there is enough room to keep the blade streight that is the way I perfer to trasport. If the truck is properly equip to plow, it will only over heat if the temps are above 40 and that doesn't hapen very often in Maine.

Geoff

[Edited by GeoffDiamond on 12-21-2000 at 02:11 AM]

3. MJ

MJ LawnSite Senior Member

Dixie1 - I have a Dodge w100 with a 7 1/2' Fisher. If I keep the moldboard straight, it will hotter than usual. Angling allows air to circulate to the radiator. I've even noticed a slight difference in angling right vs left. The instruction booklet that came with the plow also recommends transporting with the blade angled and keeping speed to no more than 45mph. Sure enough, at 55 the heat read higher than usual. Both situations took the heat guage to the second "mark" where it otherwise never goes above the first. Now I transport angled always and never over 45. I've never "bottomed out".

Mick

4. eskals

eskals LawnSite Member

One the same subject, I notice that alot of guys travel with the plow angled to the left. Very few with it angled to the right. Any reason for this?

Eric

5. cutntrim

cutntrim LawnSite Senior Member

I carry mine angled to the left cause I'm usually in the right lane (travelling slower than other traffic) and that way I don't worry as much about clipping a curb or snowbank. It's low and angled in the first place to allow for better cooling.

6. MJ

Dixie1 - in addition to the greater air circulation (in my 1st post), I prefer the greater visbility with it angled to the left. With it angled to the right, the left corner the moldboard is blocking my view of passing cars, people...

Mick

7. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Transporting at angle has many advantages. The increased visablity, air movement, ect. I think I do angle the blade as much as possible as long as the road is in good enough condition, if it's in poor condition I go with the blade straight. Taking a 10' plow down the road is really different, hard to travel with a straight blade.

I have never had a truck overheat or have a big change in engine temperature when traveling down the road with the blade straight. However if you live in an area where temperatures exceed 40 after a storm, then I think I would transport with the blade angle as much as possible.

Geoff

8. MJ

... I also notice that the ones with the blades raised and straight usually do not have any type of strobe/Whelan light.

Mick

9. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

I keep it low and straight. When its angled the high side blocks the headlamp.

10. NEAL

NEAL LawnSite Member
    from WI

I always transported at an angle for cooling reasons. My blazer had a body lift that put the radiator too high in relation to the fan. Angling the plow definitely helped the temp stay low probably helps fuel milage too.