transporting clippings

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sir_stripes_alot, Mar 3, 2003.

1. sir_stripes_alot

sir_stripes_alot LawnSite Member

What do you do with your clippings when you empty your catcher? Do you just put them in the truck bed or on trailer or in a hopper on the trailer? Need ideas thanks.

2. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I put them in my truck right now, I am looking to get a dump insert to make unloading easier.

3. Last year I put a bag in a garbage can and dumped the clipping in it. Then put the full bags on the trailer.

Once back of home transfer bags to cans again
    and put out for collection

4. Lawn Specialties

Lawn Specialties LawnSite Member

I use 33 gallon rubbermaid trash cans . I buy them at Lowe's for less than 10 bucks each and right now I have 15 of them. I only bag a few yards so I use them most for bush trimming and leaf cleanups. I could see where they would be a pain for large jobs or for people that bag a lot. They work well for me because they are easy to carry around and when one is full I just carry it to the truck put the lid on and grab another one. At the end of the day I can take them out of the truck and stash them behind my garage and have my truck empty in a couple minutes with no mess left in the truck.I take them to the compost site about once a week at my conveniance because with the lids on they don't smell.

5. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Throw them in the back of the truck which is lined with a 4X8 tarp. At the end of the day (or when truck is full) I either back up to my garden of buddy's garden and pull tarp out. Makes a good weed barrier for vegetable garden.

MATT

6. KCLandscape

KCLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

We dont bag unless its a spring or fall clean up, then it's tarp and dump

7. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

Clippings and whatever does not belong on the lawn (bottles, cans, paper, tree branches etc) are taken away. 2001 Chevrolet 2500 HD with a 'truck craft TC 120' dump insert to be disposed of at the end of the day. Don't forget to cover your load during transit. I do not bag all lawns (only on request) but all lawns are policed before a mower leaves the trailer.
    BobR

8. stevelsc1

stevelsc1 LawnSite Member

:blob4: I don't know why you would even pick them up?

Use mulching blades or do a double cut to cut the grass into fine pieces to recycle into the lawn.

The fees' for dumping are out of site and with a little extra time and sharp blades the lawn will look great all season long.

Just don't hire Johnnie no bag cutters, the green strip on clients cars and houses woun't go over too good.

Train them and youself

Good luck

9. thfireman

thfireman LawnSite Senior Member

When I bag clippings (Only 3 lawns a week) I put the tarp in the bed of the truck and dump clippings and then I will tie it up and put it on the street at my house. City picks up on Tuesdays. They just throw my tarp in the drive or in the empty can and I pick it up and fold it.

10. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member