transporting skidsteer

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by OBRYANMAINT, Feb 9, 2001.

1. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT LawnSite Senior Member

i assume most use a dedicated trailer for a skid but those who do not .............do you use a hd landscape trailer,hd enclosed trailer...............i need to purchase a trailer for skidsteer but would rather have on to serve as a mower trailer also.........don't want to have tooo many trailers around!

2. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

We use an eager beaver for ours.

I think that you could get away with a dovetail style like peaquea(sp) or another heavy duty like theirs so that you could put up rails and keep maintenace equipment contained.

Hope this helps.
    Kris

3. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

What size are you talking about how many Lbs. ?
    for the real heavy ones use a good equipment trailer rated a couple of thousand lbs over your equipment.

4. EarthTech Landscapes

EarthTech Landscapes LawnSite Member

I use a 12,000 GVW, 16 ft trailer. The trailer is from ABU, they are made in South Dakota. Also get a trailer with 10 ply tires, 16 in rims, eight lugs. and fold up ramps in the back. Tube construction over channel construction has seemed to hold up better for me. be sure the trailer can handle the bobcat and attachments. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask. I have two of these trailers.

5. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

The previous posts all gave great advice on what to look for in a trailer so you can use it for your skidsteer and mowing needs, but one important thing left out....GOOD BRAKES!!

We have a 6Ton tilt trailer (no brakes) that I used the other night to haul a bobcat for a short distance with a Chevy 1 ton and I could feel a lot of the abuse the truck was taking without the brakes. We usually use one of our 5 or 10 ton dumps to haul it so we don't put all the abuse on the 1 ton's brakes.

But the moral of the story is make sure you get good trailer brakes on whatever you decide to use, those things are not as light as they look!

6. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Guido,all large trailers that you buy here have brakes on all axles,its the law in NY.Th lightweight 7K GVWR trailers may only have brakes on one axle,but you cant tow the commercially without brakes on all axles.The 5,6 and9 tons all have a t least 12x2 or larger,and on all axles.Homemade trailers (without brakes)in the 6 ton range are dangerous,if you ever had to stop,or when wet-your not going to be able to.My 5 ton has 12x2 brakes,and it works fine for most skid steers,the largest ones would put it at the limit,but not over,unless you had attachments.

[Edited by John DiMartino on 02-10-2001 at 08:08 AM]

7. kountryscape

kountryscape LawnSite Member
    from iowa

Hi was just thinking, how about a tandem axle dump trailer with ramps and maybe a landscape gate that you can remove. you can haul mulch, dirt, skid loader, mowers ,gravel and retaining wall block. also put your name on the side for a little P.R.

countryscape
    "your backyard contractor"

8. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

We started with 6 ton trailers, but found that they can't take the abuse. Now have moved to 7 ton trailers and up, last one was a 10 ton. Lots of room on it for all the toys, plus can get two machines on it:)

Don't cut corners on trailers go bigger they will last longer with less problems.

9. Shack

Shack LawnSite Member

I have a 20 goose neck with brakes and a break a way system in case the trailer gets away from the truck.

10. Andrew Hardscape

Andrew Hardscape LawnSite Member

Don't put anything on a trailer weighing more than the trailer axle(s) is rated at. A contractor in my area put a skid steer on a light weight trailer and an axle flew out from underneath. Another thing that can go wrong is you can break the leaf springs. And another reason is the DOT and or police will have a field day with you.

You may want to check the FED & STATE D.O.T. licensing laws pretaining to trailers.

If a trailer is factory rated or if you register it at over 10,000# you will need a restricted CDL.

Even if you have a Chevy 3500HD Fully loaded weighing 16,000# (which would be over weight), a trailer weighing 3000#, and a skidsteer weighing 7200#, you would need a CDL.

Now you say, we won't put that much gross combo. weight on it. I say that too. But when we finish a job we don't want to have to return for anything. We load left over material, tools, equipment, etc., and pull out in one trip.

[Edited by Andrew Hardscape on 02-10-2001 at 02:17 PM]