Transporting Your Equipment & Fuel

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Freshcut Lawn Care, Oct 17, 2004.

1. Freshcut Lawn Care

Freshcut Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I was wondering if you folks tie your down equipment when trailering.

I do myself and my sons give me s*it once in awhile, because a lot of guys around here don't seem to bother? This takes them a couple of minutes longer loading and unloading, but I insist on it with them.

It's the law (as far as I know) here in Ontario Canada.

Also, what is the best way to secure your extra gas cans (Large & Small)?

Thanks guys!

:help:

2. Mico Landscaping design

Mico Landscaping design LawnSite Member

well here in Michigan u have to tie them down for many reasons.. one so they don't go flying out if u get in a car accident... i use to fight with my dad and give him **** bout tell i went to the weigh master and he told me how to do it the right way... just use the long cinch down straps to and around each mower... gas cans u can just use a bungee... it all depends on if u got a enclosed trailer or open.. there's still some people around here that done tie nothing down.. wait tell they get caught buy the weigh master he will love them .... thats my 2 sense though :drink up:

3. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

My 36 w/b is strapped down with a ratchet strap. Takes a few seconds, easy and safe, I would never drive without strapping it down. Now my push mowers are secured in the back of the w/b with a 2x4 attached to the floor.

Gas cans are placed in a shelf I made specifically for them and other small things.

4. Frosty_03

Frosty_03 LawnSite Senior Member

I strap everything down, as far as my gas cans I have a Ram 1500 with a camper and I keep all my gas cans and small hand equipment in th back and I use a cargo holder in the back to hold them in place. I know it takes a little longer to load and unload, but I believe that if I have to stop fast everything will stay in place. I know this because I had to stop and it's a good thing I had electric brakes on my trailer :cool2:

5. Mowerboy04

Mowerboy04 LawnSite Bronze Member

i don't except on long trips but after reading this i might

6. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

I keep my 48 W/B secured with 2 ratchet straps, small mower is bungeed down. Gas cans and other small stuff go in a deep box I built on the front of the trailer, packed in tight enought they can't really move around. Only takes me about 30 seconds to load or unload.

7. Freshcut Lawn Care

Freshcut Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I like the deep box idea. :cool:

I currently use bungees', but the box seems much more efficient!

Thanks! :waving:

8. ofishil

ofishil LawnSite Member
    from TX

I have a scag 48" and i tie it to the front with some straps. I dont think its the most efficient way. Do you guys strap yours to the sides or the front? gas cans sit in the back of my truck.

9. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

No one that I know uses straps! The only thing that I use are a couple of 2x4's screwed onto the floor of my trailer to keep my lazer and turf tracer at the right place to keep as muxh weight off of the tongue of the trailer. Thats about what most around here do for the mowers. The gas cans are either in the back of the truck or on the side of the trailer.

10. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Check out www.green-touch.com. They have all kinds of stuff for trailers, including gas can holders.