Transporting your z spray or t3000

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by cdqat1432, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Service 1st Lawn Care

Service 1st Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Because to carry fertilizer or chemical in your cab is smart.:hammerhead:

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I will admit I used to carry fert in my cab. rain not a problem. Its a whole lot dryer there. 10 bags if you really try. And if you do it right you can still see out the side mirror. Be careful, though, drive sedate. There is a chance a couple bags could fall out the open window. And there is a chance that a tall stack of bags could fall towards the unfortunate driver--pinning him against the driver side door.
    In fact, when I worked for Trygreen, a few times when eating lunch at a restaurant...I rassled my spreader upside down into the cab. Kept it dry and prevented theft.

3. pieperlc

pieperlc LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Depending on how big your sprayer is, 40 bags is doable. We can't load that many bags as we have a non-spacesaver 200 gallon Lesco. I think we can get about 18 or so on. We can load 30 bags of rock salt and it takes about half or little less than in an 8 foot bed. The weight, that's a different subject that I'm not gonna touch.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. RigglePLC

You can add slightly more bags to the bed if you lay two layers flat...and...then stand the rest of the bags on end, (on top of the 2 flat layers).

I had a welder modify my skid sprayer to make it four inches more narrow. And then I had room enough to carry the spreader in the back left corner of the bed. A smaller spreader may be a help in such a situation. Maybe a 50 pound capacity spreader suits the situation. No point in carrying fert if you can't get the spreader aboard.

5. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Riggle... that's something I see sold at Menard's, etc. Might work for homeowners, but certainly NOT "commercial grade".

6. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

Lesco/JDL sells a 50lb spreader that is very "commercial". It is just a smaller version of their standard 80lb model. The only thing I don't like about it is the same thing I don't like about some other equipment that is used with fertilizer. The handlebar assembly is powder coat paint instead of stainless. In time, it WILL rust.
    Other than that, it is a very sturdy spreader and could come in real handy on smaller lawns.

7. RigglePLC

I was thinking of the commercial stainless steel model. Earthway C22HDS.
    http://www.earthway.com/products/mo...teel-professional-50lb23kg-broadcast-spreader

It holds 50 pounds, but you would seldom add more than one bag at a time anyway. Gears are guaranteed longer than anyone else.

True, it doesn't look too much bigger than a homeowner model, but it lifts and pushes easier than large spreaders, due to weighing less. I am not sure how wide it is. The hopper looks to be about 16 inches in diameter. At the wheels it looks to be about 24 inches wide.
    I don't know if you can get it on a truck along with the average skid sprayer, (without modification).
    Anyone know? Is it possible to mount the skid sprayer slightly to one side so that you can get a row of bags of fert along one side of the tank? Also, so you can get your average spreader on the back? How bad is the off center weight distribution?

8. boss75

boss75 LawnSite Member

It's illegal to transport "chemicals, herbicide, ect. in the passenger comp".

9. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

I didn't realize this...although it doesn't surprise me that a "higher authority" has TOLD people not to do this.

I've never done it because common sense TOLD me it wasn't a very safe or smart thing to do.

10. RigglePLC

True, not real safe, but I have carried chemicals behind the seat, with no problems. And I have carried bags of fert with crab control in the cab from time to time. Mostly sealed plastic bags. Rain safe and no need to unload at night. Most of the time I carried liquid herbicides in the bed of the pickup hidden down behind the tank. Sometimes secured with a chain and padlock through the handle. Rain--no problem.
    Also I found a low plastic basket container (two inches tall and 12 by 15 wide) that just barely fit under the truck seat. It acted like a convenient drawer under the seat with a zip-tie to make it easy to get a finger grip on it. It was the right size for packets of Roundup Quickpro, Talpirid, non-liquid bottles of Drive, fungicide, and Manage. I could get about $400 dollars worth of chemical in the "drawer". I preferred it to be inside protected from rain and theft.

However, I should point out that a professor(fruit studies) I used to work with loaned us his faded green 55 Chevy pick up one day long ago, at Michigan State University. We never asked him again. Seems years ago, someone had spilled a bottle of Malathion in the front seat. It smelled BaD! Windows open--in any weather!