Trash everywhere!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by zackvbra, Jun 2, 2014.

1. zackvbra

zackvbra LawnSite Senior Member

Just picked up 3 gas stations and threw my first cut on them today. Now I know why people charge so much to do these gas stations! The trash! The infernal trash! It's everywhere and no matter how long I pick it up for, there's still confetti all over the place. Most of it, you can't see until you mow over it and it snows paper all over the place. It tucks itself into the grass. It was especially bad at this one with about a 1 acre open area on the side for uhaul trailers. I just said **** it and mowed in one direction it all to one area and raking it, but that just made it worse. Going in the morning to get some grabbers and a 5 gallon bucket to take with me. Why must people throw all that **** on the ground?
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. pseudosun

pseudosun LawnSite Bronze Member

I just saw a guy eating some beans to go (camelia came out with a single ready to eat serving), and he took his last bite while walking, then dropped his spoon and the cup and never missed a beat. It's a mentality. I recently had to stop mower after hitting a brick. Good thing i looked in the field and picked up: oil filters, bottles, donut boxes, diapers!, skillets, flip flops. They don't clean skillets. When something sticks to it, apparently, they just throw it in the field.

3. ColliCut Land Mgmt

ColliCut Land Mgmt LawnSite Member

I get extremely frustrated at this too. I have a large industrial plant that always overfills their dumpsters. It's a wide open area that is subject to windy conditions, so the trash ends up blowing all over the place. After several reminders that they need to police their property a little better, I finally stopped mowing about a six-foot path around the dumpsters. It's tall enough now that it catches all the trash, keeping it from blowing across the rest of the property. They haven't complained yet, and it's making my job much easier.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

#1 reason I dropped all the gas stations we used to cut.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. pseudosun

pseudosun LawnSite Bronze Member

great idea about the six foot buffer around dumpster. I wish i could do that along the parking lot:)

6. gebby

gebby LawnSite Senior Member

I do grocery stores. Same thing. People are pigs. I just bag most of it now. Yes, you bet I charge extra for it. I dump the grass on their property. There was a time that I spent more time picking up trash than mowing. My first commercial job was a truck stop. OMG Do one of those. I swore those off. My customers just know that I have an average I have to hit, If things get out of hand I don't beg anymore. I just raise the price. That language they understand really well.

7. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

Usually isn't much grass so I threw a gobbler on the Wright and bagged the ones I did and helper used the vac and sometimes the hose attachment for hedges. I had some really nasty jobs on OBT if you ever come to Orlando stay off that road every city has one and you know what goes on down there.

8. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

Don't feel bad, probably happens to more of us than would care to admit.

9. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

trailer park is even worse. they have a huge dumpster out front but yet there is trash and junk all over the grass???

why not use the dumpster? that's what it's there for. people just don't care. :laugh:

10. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

You need a Billy Goat