Trash pickin' Pays Off!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Jason Pallas, May 20, 2002.

1. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

Today I found a commercial Snapper 21" with the 5hp commercial Briggs - a little carb work and a little recoil work - it runs like a champ. In the same pile, I picked a lawnboy up that had the coil I needed to repair a friend's mower. Last month I got a Toro wheelhorse rider. The engine's blown in that - looking for a replacement 8-10 hp before the wife makes me pitch it. I love trash pickin'. It's one of the perks of this job!
  2. Pelican

Pelican LawnSite Member

I found a 21" Bobcat push mower the same way. I also found a cut off saw and most recently picked up a paver cart this way. You know the saying, "One man's trash, another man's treasure"!
  3. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

when I take trash to the land fill they have a place for metal stuff. I found a HVAC vacuum pump in perfect working order, several push mowers and 1 rider all sold in our garage sales after tinkering on it. I also found a like new small bike which my youngest son has rode for 2 years. Several times I have been told to leave when they see me going through the piles. Once there was a 175 yamaha that looked great and one of the workers came running over and said that he already had it picked out for him. I don't know why they're so upset when we take stuff out to recycle. I do feel like i'm sneaking around but people toss away some of the nicest things. I also can't believe all the new lumber that gets dumped from all the construction clean up.
  4. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

yeah - trash is great! I can't count all th good stuff I've found over the years. I found 2 great homelite chainsaws acouple years back - just needed some carb work. 9 times out of ten it's a recoil or bad as in the carb. 10 minutes of work and you've got yourself a new piece of equipment.
    Couple of years back I got a nice VCR and a newer 27" TV (Panasonic too!) outa the trash. I feel like Oscar on Seasame Street - I LOVE TRASH!
  5. TFL

TFL LawnSite Member

on my property i have a sort of graveyard for mowers. it is amazing how much money using these parts have saved me.
  6. thfireman

thfireman LawnSite Senior Member

I pick up old mowers with briggs engines when people toss them out. I rebuild them and put a coat of paint on them. I can easily sell them at yard sales for $75.00 to $125.00. My wife hates it when I bring them home but then loves it when someone hands me money for them.:D
  7. lawnboy87

lawnboy87 LawnSite Member

When i pulled into my Waste facility, i saw a classic lawn boy 2 stroke in the weight garage. It was in perfect condition. I had to take it home. When i got home i tried starting it and it fired right up on the first pull. For 2 years it has been flawless. I wonder why they brought it there in the first place?! (B.T.W: i paid $2.50 for it!):D :D