Trash vacuum for ZTR

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LwnmwrMan22, Apr 2, 2005.

1. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm putting on a JRCO tine dethatcher for my spring cleanups today, and had a brainstorm.

I do all commercial work, some of which has a fair amount of garbage.

What I was thinking, and wondering if anyone has come across something like this, is, if you put a "Peco" type bagging system on, but instead of putting the boot on the end of your deck, if you made (had someone else make) a boot that would mount out in front of your mower.

This would be much like the boot you'll see on a walk-behind dethatcher / bagger, or those smaller "homeowner" clean-up units.

This way, you could bag up the garbage before you mow over it, plus you don't have to bag the grass as well, since you could still let the grass blow out the chute.

Another question that I have is, does anyone use the walk-behind bagging units and do they pick up garbage very well??

2. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

At UNT where I go to school, they have a machine whose sole purpose is to suck up garbage. It looks like a meter maid car but it has a huge hose monuted to a moveable arm in the front of the vehicle, and all day it goes around and the guy manuevers the arm to suck up coke bottles, paper, and coke cups, and leaves too from the curbs. Are you talking about mounting something like this only on a smaller scale for your ZTR?
  3. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Yes, exactly.

Basically a bagger system that would mount over the engine, but instead of running the hose off the deck, where you'd catch the grass as well as the garbage, just a big plastic boot that would mount just in front of the deck, so you could suck up just the garbage and not the grass.
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I think the idea behind that, would to have a mechanical type sweeper (lawn sweeper) mounted on the front of the unit. I was thinking that someone used to have one like this, but as I think of it, perhaps I am just confusing it with some of the pull type sweepers that we would see that looked like they pulled backwards, like with the canvas basket toward the front and the brushes toward the back.