Travel Trailers

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by xi_bowhunter, Oct 18, 2006.

1. xi_bowhunter

xi_bowhunter LawnSite Member

Has anyone built a landscaping trailer from a travel trailer? If so, how did it go?

2. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

I have personally never done, but I have seen how a few people have done it. Why do you want to do this? I would think it is a lot more work than it is worth. Are you gong to want it to be enlcosed? If so, that is a little easier, but you have to build a rear door etc. If it is open you basically have to strip it down to the fram and build it up from there while adding a gate etc... Not worth it IMO.

3. xi_bowhunter

the trailer is already stripped and i have a side gate and an end gate. it is 20 ft long dual axle with brakes. looking for a winter project and wonder if there were any downfalls to building it.

4. Groundwork

Groundwork LawnSite Member

My first trailer used to be an old camper frame and I would say don't do it, it's not worth it. In fact I didn't even get a chance to put my mowers on it. I was using it for some spring clean-ups and ended up breaking an axle, it was a 7,000 gvw 20' dual axle with brakes. I figured old age, had the trailer in the shop for a new axle, and ended up putting two new axles on it, and then I got the good news, while replacing the axle they told me my frame was cracked in a few spots. Trailer was just not made for heavy duty use. Once you remove the walls of the camper the structural integrity of the trailer is severely compromised. Best bet is to go out and buy a trailer made for the job you intend on doing. I learned this the hard way, but was lucky enough to sell it to someone who was not going to use it for heavy use, but I didn't get my money back on it. Just something to think about.

5. xi_bowhunter

thanks Groundwork. That was what I was looking for. Will just have to look at buying a new bigger one.