Traveling LCO's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tiedeman, Jul 2, 2004.

1. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I saw it today when out working. Two different chemical applicators from way down state doing applications and two different locations. They are at least driving 2+ hrs up here from the location on the side of their vehicles. Sure if the price was right and I had a lot of accounts down state I would travel to the accounts as well.

But the question I guess that I have to ask is, how many others have seen LCO's travel a far distance to service customers?

2. mbricker

mbricker LawnSite Senior Member

I have to ask myself why anybody would hire a firm from out of the area to do this work. Aren't customers just asking to be scammed this way? Probably just price-shopping fools.

3. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm mowing a large campground about 75 miles south of Rochester.. It takes an entire day to do and is well worth the drive. The guy that owns it has us mowing his home locally, so thats how I got the job..

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Troy, who were they? Was one of them Custom? He is from the Flint area, runs around a dozen trucks, here, but has a satellite up in the Bay City area now.

5. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

i live in grosse pointe, and most of my customers are in this area, in GP, SCS, and HW. but however i do travel over to 23mile road to cut 3 lawns, but then again, they pay good, and one of the houses is my grandpa and i have gotten some more business just from being there, and there is a TON of new homes going up, so im going to start advertising like crazy next year in that area, and hopefully i'd be able to gain about 20 lawns in that area alone.

6. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

i was picking up my brother from metro airport two weeks ago and saw the same truck/trailer of a guy who cuts two small yards in my neighborhood! he was traveling south on i-75, musta been about an hour away from home .

Myself..I have 46 accounts within a 5 mile radius, and will only work in this area until i have reached my capacity here, and then move into the rochester/rochester hills area... I preffer staying local..

Trevor

7. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

maybe they had a branch near by??

8. jtm45

jtm45 LawnSite Member

some of those accounts are corporate and they take bids, thats why you see trucks from outa state or different city domicile. i use to do patching and sealing work for a guys co. all over NE, the stores would call in work needed and off you go.