Traveling to mow

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cub-b, Mar 24, 2005.

1. cub-b

cub-b LawnSite Member

Do any of you guys have to travel out of your mowing area, because of a commercial account with multiple properties. What are your experiences.

2. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

I just landed a county contract - $1000 per mow - 38 acres - 100 miles drive - will take one full day with my 9 1/2 foot 595 wam. if my wife helps, will be slightly less than a day.

Yes I bid anything I can drive to and make money.

On this county bid, there are campgrounds, trails, parks etc from the north end to the south end - all the way from 11 acres to 1 acre. The windshield time will give us a rest. Counting windshield time, we will do very well. Thanks Brad

3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I used to have one that had 4 properties. 3 were close, but the 4th was way out of the way. It was still worth it, but would have been alot better if i could have done only 3.just take inot consideration your travel time. Chances are if they are far apart, anyone else bidding is it the same situation as you.

4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well, in my opinion BIG business and chains are really running a muck on our industry in that catagory by REQUIRING you bid on all locations or none. They do this in an attempt to make a bulk purchase to save money, and maybe they do.... but I think it's unnessasary. Heck I even had one today request that I bid all locations for mowing/landscaping AND janitorial/cleaning! I said no thanks.

Now, rather you can come out with traveling to mow depends on how far you are traveling, how much work you are doing, how well it fits in your schedule and of course what you are getting paid. In a LOT of cases it's NOT enough money or worth it because pricing is usually driven down sharply.

So yeah, you can come out sometimes by going out of your area. Just don't be like these morons who lowballed one of my bids this year..... Out of area is one thing, out of the friggin' AREA CODE is another. I saw them today and their equipment.... 3 man crew to boot. That company is loosing it's azz, no question about it.

5. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

How do you know?

6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I did it one year. I had 3 accounts that we tied all together. The one was local, while the other two were 41 miles away, and 34 miles away. Never again.

7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well Flex... I know what the company is getting paid. I know what equipment they are running. I know how long it takes them to complete the job, not counting windshield time. Plus I know how far away their AREA CODE is from mine, what the minimal drive time is, and I know there are 3 men sitting in a truck for a real long time. That goes without saying there are 3 men on the job for the pay they are getting and it also goes without saying how inefficient a 3 man crew is.

Trust me, they are going in the hole before they even set foot out of the truck.