TRC vs. RM

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by DanaMac, Mar 9, 2009.

1. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Ok can some of you that have used both the TRC and the RainMaster remotes explain why you don't like one or the other? Seems like some of you using the RM are dead set against the TRC. Why? What major and minor differences are there? Distance? Reliability? Don't like the color? What's the deal?

And yes I know we've talked about it in many different threads, just want a new perspective.

2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

RM remotes were part of the program when we started installing DX clocks; we had a TRC, granted, a very early AM version, but once we pigtailed the RM into all our systems, fun was had, problems zero.

3. The delay after pushing the button on the TRC drives me insane.

4. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

You mean the 0.5-1.0 second delay?

5. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

To some people, thats a long time to wait in life...

J/K Peter.

I like the RM, never tried the TRC. Useless observation at this point

6. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I don't think range is an issue for me, as we primarily service residences. the largest commercial system, in terms of area, would be a car dealership. No HOAs or common areas or apartments.

7. When water is shooting up at 60psi a second seems like eternity. Especially when you hit the off button before the previous push has registered. So you have to pause and push again and it becomes 2 seconds ARRRRRGH

8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Mmmm... I can see that happening. I'll make note and let my guys know.

That's what I'm wanting to here though. What issues do any of you have with it.

9. mowerman111

mowerman111 LawnSite Senior Member

I was going to start a thread on remotes so I'll just hijack this one instead :). What timers do either one of these remotes work on? and do they have to be remote ready to work, not trying to ask a stupid question but I'm not familiar with any remotes, but I've been thinking lately how nice it would be to have one, the only thing is alot of properties we maintain have old RB Esp's and LX series or Irritrol and a few Hunter clocks.

10. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Pigtails is your answer. You can make the remotes work on just about any clock with pigtails and a universal adapter (at least for the RM).

Many newer and better clocks these days have ports already installed and ready to accept a remote, therefore no need for pig tails. The ESP MC's have ports installed for a remote, but with an uncommon connection. Pig tails with the cool port on it and you are again in business.

Fimco has and can get just about any configuration of pig tail. Look him up in the phone book.