Treated water project

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by DanaMac, Jan 28, 2003.

1. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Have any of you done a project converting the irrigation from city water to a treated or non-potable system?

A property I maintain is a potato chip factory. And due to the amount of waste water they were dumping, the city made them put in their own treatment facility onsite before it could be dumped into the sewer system. This water is from washing the potatos. Stinks like hell too.

But anyway, they want to possibly use the water, post treatment, and re-use it for the irrigation system. I am having a rep from one of my suppliers look at it with me, but would appreciate any comments.

2. Ground Master

Ground Master LawnSite Senior Member

Where would the post treated water be held? Are they considering some sort of holding pond? Or some other sort of holding tank?

I'd imagine you'd have to size a pump that could supply the flow and pressure that the existing system is designed for.

I'd consider a good filtration system before this water went into the pump too.

3. devildog

devildog LawnSite Senior Member
    from sc

Treated affluent is no big deal, just like working with potable. 1) dont drink it 2) NO CROSS CONNECTIONS, and that has to be verified with every potable meter on the property. We performed our first conversion nearly ten years ago, no ill affects on any system componet. With Regards... devildog

4. I can't speak exactly about your situation, but I have connected (3 different properties) using our city\county-recycled water lines. Besides inspection that the irrigation lines are no way connected to either county or city potable water or residential lines, I had to do this also:

All valve boxes had to be converted from the standard green to purple poxes.

All heads had to have a purple covering or marking (most properties I used fixed 1800 rainbirds or hunter PGP's) just had to buy the tops for each

The kicker though was every 800 ft around the property, signage had to be installed and viewable from 50ft away stating that non-potable water was being used in English, Spanish and Chinese.

For my clients, yearly cost to irrigate properties went way down and was a cheap investment to protect landscaping on their properties from drought. Before, they had on average a monthly water bill of $300 to $600 and now only pay a yearly fee of $1,000 to help pay for maintenance of the main water lines.

John

5. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks, were still in the initial stages of figuring what they want.