treating crabgrass now?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by fga, Jul 26, 2005.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

the product "manage"
    will that be affective on crabgrass this time of year, or only nutsedge?

sorry if ths is in the wrong forum, but i have to call a customer back in 20 minutes... and this place gets the traffic. thanks.

2. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: go with the ACCLAIM, does the trick in one shot, mix it @ the rate of .05-.94 per gallon. id mix on the low end due to the extreme heat. if your pe ople arent complaining about it then let it go, because if you treat the areas and you cook the lawn in those areas they are more than likely to be pissed at there smoked lawn than a few areas of crabgrass. tony

3. fga

they really want me to treat this. i just pickedup this lawn, so the whole beginning of the year worth of applications are not there.

Acclaim? i'm looking on line for it now, thanks. this will contraol and kill both. nutsedge and crabgrass?

4. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: check the label regarding nutshedge, i use manage for that, i think acclaim may supress it but not kill it. whats the size of the lawn? a pint of acclaim is like $80 and a gallon is like $700.

5. jtrice11

jtrice11 LawnSite Senior Member

I just sprayed Drive75 all day today. I'm in minnesota though, we just got 1.5 inches of rain, and it cooled down to 70 today.

6. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

Also remember that where ever there is crabgrass and you kill it....more than likely it will leave a "bare" spot where other weeds (not grass) will eventually grow till you seed it.

7. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

Acclaim for crabgrass. High rate. Wait till Thurs or Fri when the weather drops to 80. A low rate will not be effective at this stage of the year.
    Manage for nutsedge.

Drive is not labeled for us in NY so don't waste your time looking it up.

If it is real bad consider roundup with an overseeding in 2 weeks. Depends on what the customer expects.

I hope they have a little understanding after signing up this late in the season.

8. fga

i hope so too. i was telling them we'll have to apply pre-emergent in the fall, and the spring, but they're worried they won't have a lwan by then. if i where to aplly a pre-emergent now, would it slow the spreading the crabgrass?

9. SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC

SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC LawnSite Member

Whoa.........hold Up There Fga. Forget The Acclaim!! Call The People Back, Tell Em That By Law You Cant Spray Crabrass Postemergent Over A Certain Temp, And That Doin It Is Illegal And Would Destroy The Lawn. See If You Can Go To Lesco For Target 6.6 ...........follow The Directions In Mixing It .......go Out First Thing On Friday Am And Give The Lawn A Good Uniform Dose. You Should See Results Starting In A Few Days, And The Target Is Way Cheaper Than Any Of The Others Per Thousand Sq Ft. Only Thing Is That It Really Only Takes Out The Nutsedge And The Crabgrass. If Youn Want Other Weeds Taken Out Then You Need To Do A Tank Mix With A Bit Of Something Like Confront.

In The Process Of Telling Them About How You Are Going To Do The App Properly , Also Slide Into A Sales Pitch For A Slice Seed Or A Core Aeration And Seeding In Sept. Explain If They Dont Try To Thicken The Lawn This Fall Then The Problem They Have Now Will Re Occur Next Year.

AND IF YOU ARE GONNA SEED THIS YEAR DONT MESS IT UP BY EVEN THINKING OF DOING A PRE EMERGENT. LIME / STARTER FERT AND LATER ON A WINTERIZER. SAVE THE PRE EM FOR SPRING

10. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

Forget The Acclaim!! Call The People Back, Tell Em That By Law You Cant Spray Crabrass Postemergent Over A Certain Temp, And That Doin It Is Illegal And Would Destroy The Lawn. See If You Can Go To Lesco For Target 6.6

Isn't target 6.6 msma crabgrass post emergent? I thought it was. If "by Law" you can't spray crabgrass post emergent (acclaim), why can you spray msma??

Your post contradicts itself left and right.