Treating Newly Seeded Midway Rye

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by clallen03, Oct 12, 2007.

1. clallen03

clallen03 LawnSite Senior Member

I picked up a new client the first of September. His lawn was made up of a little bit of bermuda, centipede, fescue, dallas, crabgrass, broadleafs, zoysia, and anything else you can think of.

Now as I begin maintaining this lawn I notice that it hard grew at all. I expected it need to be fertilized. I didn't want to start treating the lawn because I told me he wanted it overseeded with rye this year.

Middle September I aerated, fertilized (starter), and overseeded this lawn. Now it took a while for the seed to germinated, maybe because of the warm weather, but know it is almost full.

Here is were the problem lies. Now since I have done this to the lawn the weeds are now growing like crazy. I expected this but I thought that I would be able to hide the weeds in the thick rye, I was wrong. The weeds are growing faster then anything and its not looking good.

This is my question.
    I know how to get rid of these weeds, but Im afraid to do anything to this lawn because I have never treated newly seeded rye grass. I would hate to treat for weeds and kill the rye also.
    I guess Im asking is there anything I may need to know before I treat newly seeded rye? Do I need to lower my rates? Do I need to wait to treat for grassy weed? Do I need to wait to treat the lawn and just deal with the weeds? Anything will be helpful.

2. clallen03

clallen03 LawnSite Senior Member

Nobody treat annual rye grass (Lesco Midway)?
  3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I treated some newly seeded ryegrass (Scotts "Pure Premium") (about 2 inches high). I did it on purpose because I suspected that it woud be OK. I used Lesco Eliminate. After two weeks it looks fine.

Click above and take a look at Octane herbicide. "Cool season grasses both newly seeded and established are generally tolerant..."