1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Treating Red Thread

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Shuter, Apr 4, 2003.

1. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

How do you guys treat for Red Thread?? and what's the best way to control/prevent it?
  2. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

A good smack of N will help the lawn out grow it! Thats the most effective remedy that I know of. Fungicide is not very effective and too expensive.
  3. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

Had a wicked case last year. Heavy dose of N will do the trick
  4. lawnstudent

lawnstudent LawnSite Senior Member

Red thread is a disease that affects susceptible hosts that are stressed by a lack of N. Proper fertilization, reduce compaction, improve drainage and use of disease resistant turf cultivars are your best cultural preventions for the spread of red thread. Good luck.

5. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

I have several lawns that get hit every year. Nitrogen does help, but I am not risking it with these few lawns I know will get hit. I use Bayleton Granular Fungicide as a preventative. Red Thread hits fine fescue lawns hard when temps are around 50-60 and you get prolonged wet periods. Apply Bayleton on the more succeptible lawns just prior to that. Bayleton is fairly inexpensive, and very easy to spread.
  6. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

Red Thread is a huge problem in this area. Fescues, Ryes, Bents and even older Blue grass lawns

We apply 5#'s N per season (1# x 5 apps) and still have a problem. We use Bayleton, one of the better products still labeled for residential lawns.

There is a new Lesco Service Center opening (or already open) in Dennis. Ask for Don, this man knows turf diseases, he could be a real asset to you!

good luck
  7. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks TSM. I use the one in Mashpee now.. Gil there is quite knowledgeable.
  8. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

What the price in your area to spay Broadleaf weed killer and pre m on 360,000 sf. Thanks
  9. osc

osc LawnSite Senior Member

That's a whole lot a nitrogen dude. How do you keep up with the mowing. I have never heard of any good program putting down much more that 3#'s per season.