treating trailer deck?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by STIHL GUY, Jun 7, 2011.

1. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

i just bought a 2011 big tex 6.5 x 14 trailer. my question is should i put anything on the deck of it to protect it from the elements?? the trailer will be kept in my garage overnight and when im not using it like the winter. i was just wondering what everyone else does

2. Puddle of Oil

Puddle of Oil LawnSite Bronze Member

i have a big tex as well, had it for about 8 years now. Its been through a lot of rain storms, ive left it outside over the winter, put a couple tons of salt on it and the wood still looks good. So no, don't bother.

3. Donald A

Donald A LawnSite Member

Have a Big Tex 16' that is about 7 years old. I did nothing to the original deck and it was totally rotted at 7 years.
    Replaced the planks with 2" white oak planks, cut by a local resident with a portable sawmill.
    I put 4 coats of a 50/50 mix of linseed oil and mineral spirits on it just as added protection, but truth be known, the white oak should last a long time without any coating.

4. STIHL GUY

from CT

i ended up putting a coat of finish on it. i had the stuff in the basement just laying around. its the stuff for decks and fences and stuff like that

5. FryDaddy

FryDaddy LawnSite Member

might get some comments about this, but pour diesel fuel or burnt oil on wood flooring. That's what lots of people used to do.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. mow king

mow king LawnSite Senior Member

I pressure wash and use wood deck sealer on my trailers every few years. They've held up well.

7. XLS

XLS LawnSite Silver Member

can you guys not spend a few dollars and a saturday morning on a project if it goes bad i mean i have alot of trailers and none Bix tex but all wood floors and i have never replaced a floor for regular lawn mowing trailers ...... I have on a few of them when we bought them used and had no floor left . it is not hard at all and for 60.00-75.00 its finished all you need is a floor jack and a friend and it takes 30 minutes for most floors. just a jack and i guess bolting them down if you wish to do so. cut ,jack bow,release bolt repeat not hard

8. STIHL GUY

from CT

do you keep your trailer indoors or outside over the winter and over night?

9. eco.lawns

eco.lawns LawnSite Member

I don't treat mine, guess I have never thought about it. I just replaced my deck with treated lumber and I'm sure it will hold up for 5-6 years

10. Poontamer

Poontamer Banned

How much did you pay for the trailer?
    Posted via Mobile Device