1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

treatment of employees

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Mar 15, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

well, my man started today. i'm tellin you this guy is a gift from god. the absolute perfect employee. he supposed to be here at 8:30. he gets here at 8:15, like clock work. i look outside at 8:15, i see him standing straight up, like a soldier, next to the garage door. it brings a tear to my eye. to u new guys, he started with me last year, and has been the most faithful, competant employee i could ask for. anyhow, i usually hand him the keys, tell him what we are doing today, he loads the truck, then i tell him come in and have some coffee till i'm ready to go. he comes in, pours his coffee, says thank you, washes his own cup when he is done, then we go. to you small operations, who have only one or two employees, do they come in the house? coffee in the morning?
  2. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

i have a helper in the summer bobby, he comes over while im getting ready and then we load the trailor and go, he is always on time to. lately bobby you have started some good threads but im still alittle disappointed about not seeing a real lawn mowing machine
  3. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

I would love one of those.......unfortunately havent found one that speaks english yet......
  4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

don't be dissapointed, i am a firm believer that it's not the machine that counts, but it's the man behind the machine. you did see a real lawn mowing machine, in fact, you saw the perfect lawn mowing machine. it is strong, durable, smart, and charming. any fool can buy a lawnmower, but, if he's not up to the task, both physically and mentally, what good is the lawnmower? in fact, i would venture to say that a big % of lawnguys can't make it, because of the physical demands of the job.
  5. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

thats a good point of the man versus the machine bobby.

as for the employee issue,
    yes, we do go inside frequently for a soda or a quick snack. i think their is a larger message behind the gesture to come inside. it shows that your more than just a number, or some shmuck cutting grass, the your employer cares and has kindness at the front of his/her mind.
  6. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I had a guy a few years ago who used bring in the paper pour himself a glass of milk and read the paper until it was time to go to work.The guy I have now comes in and plays with the dogs for a couple of minutes then if i'm lucky he will start loading the truck while I finish getting ready.At the end of the day we might sit out on the patio and have a beer or two and maybe fire up the grill.
  7. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I prefer not to have my employees in my house much. I find them looking around a little too much and then wanting a raise 2 weeks later. I guess they feel they should make the same salary as I do.
  8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I have to agree...I don't invite employees into my house. I actually had one snooping around looking at my finanical sheets at how much I bring in per customer for mowing. I was so p*ssed! He calming said, oh thats how much you bring in for that customer. I let him have it. And he actually defended himself saying that he could look at it. He was fired the next day.
  9. GTLC

GTLC LawnSite Senior Member

Well, I do have a few extra guys who will come in for soda, sorry us kids don't drink coffee, Coke is healthy enough
  10. pcnservices

pcnservices LawnSite Senior Member

Thank you Bobby for that statement!!! That's why my Encore does a better job than some of the Exmarks here on Lawnsite!

Loyalty is a two way "thing" - your employee is loyal to you and your company therefore you should treat him/her with the same loyalty and respect likewise. Have a space in your garage with a table and chairs where your employees can sit and relax and have coffee. Keep your employees out of the privacy of your home.