Tree Advice

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by 1simple, Jul 25, 2008.

1. 1simple

1simple LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Thanks everyone for your answers to my previous post. I would appreciate your opinion on these specific questions:

1. Should I move the tree from it's current location and put it in the middle of my yard, see pics below? Right smack in the middle. You can see where the irrigation system was laid. If so, is this enough room or I may have problems with the roots getting into the irrigation system or nearby concrete? It is so close and I get a feeling will regret it 5 yrs from now when it attacks the sidewalk & street and the city my take it down all together.

The part I do not get is the home builder did everyone's trees in the area like this, all between the sidewalks & street (Centex.com). Will the neighborhood have a bunch of busted up concrete 5-10 yrs from now? I get a feeling this my hurt my resell value greatly if the neighborhood doesn't have many trees yrs from now.

2. If I were to move it and if I can, is it best to just pull it out & plant the whole thing, do not cut any of the roots? It is only 7 mo's old and don't think the roots have really taken root yet.

3. Any idea why my leaves are doing this? Under watering or over fertilizing? I have been deeply watering it and last time was 2 weeks ago.

Thanks a bunch of your input!

Curtis

lawn1.jpg

lawn2.jpg

lawn3.jpg

lawn4.jpg

2. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Those Pin Oaks will get huge, so.......they need to be a minimum of 25' from the house, and as far as that sidewalk and irrigation....no tree would be my choice. That folliage has a fall color happening. That color is a result of the leaf membrane closing it cells, this generally happens with cooler night and less sun and sap going down to the roots for dormacy. When the leaf membrane, which seperates the leaf from the twig, it (the leaf) will turn color to brown and drop. BUT itn't it way too early for that? Then I defer to a chemical imbalance. Check your PH of the soil and if really important, do a soil test. You may find that you could have a pocket of buried gypsum, sulfur, shale bed, or lots of other stuff that would account for the premature color. Or you could have warlocks about....Have you moved the tree already? If so, forget everything said.

3. 1simple

1simple LawnSite Member
    from Texas

It's still hot here! No the three hasn't moved yet.

4. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

I saw some of the same thing happening to some similiar trees along the interstate a week or so ago. They have not be bothered or anything done to them that would account for the color change. I'm still thinking warlock mischief. It's beyond my limited 60+ years of experience. Those same trees do it almost every year and hang on to their leaves until new growth in the spring pushes them off. They don't seem sad or even mind what is happening to them. Pin Oaks are nice trees but do get to be 4-4' in diameter before the center begin to rot and they decline. Roy

5. 1simple

1simple LawnSite Member
    from Texas

It looks like it is a nuttall oak tree.