Tree and Plant Installs

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by drsogr, Jan 28, 2006.

1. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

Does anyone use any fertilizer or root stimulator when planting new trees or plants? I know there are products out there for this, but I have never used any of them? Should I be using them?

Derek

2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Nope don't need them if you get your soil right 1st.
    I always amend w/compost when I plant and that means the whole area if possible not just the planting hole.

3. MarcusLndscp

MarcusLndscp LawnSite Senior Member

We use a combination of Healthy Start, Compost, and peat

4. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

I use Argiform tablets if soil is bad (B or C horizon material). I agree with Sheshovel, amend the whole planting bed with compost, as deep as possible.

5. sheshovel

Peat is actually no longer recommended for planting because it will actually suck the water away from the root balls in times of water shortage in the soil..Also if you do use peat..you should hydrate it well before mixing into any soil.Though it is a soil conditioner,it you have to be carefull in your applications of it..at least here in the dry West we do.

6. MarcusLndscp

MarcusLndscp LawnSite Senior Member

We have no problems using peat as a conditioner to improve the structure of our compost. I have heard the arguements regarding this and can understand it given specific conditions. In our case small amounts are added to our compost to improve the structure of it. We're not using the peat in any mass quantity in the planting areas at any given time. The primary component of our plant mix is still the compost. We've had our mix tested and have used it over many years with no problems of any sort. All our plantings are also irrigated and never experience true drought conditions like other places in the country that get to be a million degrees for weeks on end with no rainfall.

7. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

ive used manure sometimes and mostly peat if the soil is claylike with some sand mixed in... jersey doesnt have the best soils sometimes... the garden state.. blah.:)

8. sheshovel

Sand + clay =cement peat will do nothing with that

9. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees LawnSite Senior Member

Depends on how big of a tree and if customer will pay for m roots. Do you ever need trees down there or need any dug we have a 90", 65",42, and soon to add a 30" up here in K.C.. We have dug as far away as indi.

10. SpudsM15

SpudsM15 LawnSite Senior Member

I've used Lesco bulster fertilizer, I tried it out on a couple new lawn installs seems to work pretty good. Of course the lesco guys say to use it when planting... We have come very accustumed to using mushroom compost mixed with high quality top soil for everything.... Seems to work great...