1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Tree and Shrub apps

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Pacific Nursery, Oct 16, 2001.

1. Pacific Nursery

Pacific Nursery LawnSite Member

I am still looking for some info on tree and shrub apps. Does anyone know of any books or study guides to help me with this.
    I currently have my applicators license.
  2. Island Lawn

Island Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Check with your fertilizer supplier.

Lesco gives me good info that I can take to the bank!
  3. Pacific Nursery

Thanks, I am using Lesco a lot. I'm just hoping to find some material to study over the winter.
  4. Greg Amann

Greg Amann LawnSite Member

Check web sites for local universities for the area you are in. I'm in central Florida and use local web sites including the University of Florida for guidelines. Also read up on fertilizer and how the different parts of the analysis effect the plant. Example we use a 6-10-10 with minors for blooming plants. Going with a higher phosphorus which is the middle number will encourage bloom. If you know what each element does and you have an idea of the individual plants needs you can put together a program that will work in the area you are in.
  5. Russ

Russ LawnSite Senior Member

Try this-http://bluestem.hort.purdue.edu/plant/ I think everything in the world is in here.
  6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Pacific Nursey

May I ask with out sounding like a smart A. What state are you in and what kind of lic you have. Here in the bug capital of America we must work under a certified pestcontrol operator for 3 years to be able to take the second hardest test in the nation. (Ca. is the hardest) Even with a college degree we must work under a C.P.O. in order to take the certifation test. Pass rate is about 25%.

Safers Soap and horticulural oil kills almost all insects that suck or chew plant leafs. Safers Soap also has some fundicidal properties. The nice thing about these are you can take a bath in this mix and unless you drown they will not harm you per say. I would study "Truman's Scientific Guide to Pest Control Operations" and learn to I D insects and their life cycles. You can buy it at amazon.com they even have used copies at a lower price.

It takes about 3 years to be a beginner and 3 life times to be an expert. Maybe I am jumping on you a little to hard and I don't mean to. I have spend a lot of money, time and hard work to have a full book company. I am lic in L&O, GHP, Termite, and Fum.

7. Pacific Nursery

I live in the St. Louis area. I currently have an ornamental lic (4 yr). I don't think MO is as hard on licensing as Fla. or CA. You are the second person to tell me that Hort oil or insecticidal soap are really about all someone needs for spraying. I need the knowledge of how and when to apply such things. The study material should help (along with advice from experienced professionals).
    Greg and Rus,
    thanks I will check out both.
  8. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Greg & Rus

Check Out Prudue U. They are an A & M unv. and have on line courses They are in you area or Cold hardness Zone. Also Check with your County Extension Agent he is a Horticultural or Ag. Grad. Remember that the Chem Co. job is selling you expensive chemicals. Some of their reps. are college men and some are just good salesmen. But in both cases they make their living selling high priced chemicals. Good Luck

p.s. Fla. has a limited pesticide lic. offen reffered to as Round-up Lic. A lot of these lic holder think they are experts or full service pest control company. A most of them do more damage than good.