Tree Auger Bits

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by jd4310, Jan 18, 2005.

1. jd4310

jd4310 LawnSite Member

Anyone ever used a tree auger bit on their skidsteer. Supposely it is cone shaped. Smaller at the bottom going up to 24" or 36" at the top. I think it is supposed to help with the root ball of trees sitting in the hole. Maybe to keep it from moving or falling over. Just wondered if it is worth buying over the standard 36" auger.

2. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

It's been a while since I used one, and I've never priced one versus a normal 36", but they do have benefits.

For many B&B trees, they do allow the tree to sit in the hole better, but you need to make sure the smaller hole is filled enough that the tree won't settle down into it.

I don't think I've ever seen one that was cone-shaped, the ones I've used had a smaller diameter auger at the bottom of the bit, and then stepped up to the larger size.

Dan

3. jd4310

jd4310 LawnSite Member

Dan,
    Actually the price of the 36" tree auger is $150 less than the standard 36" bit. No one around here uses them so I don't know how they perform compared to normal augers or if they really help when it comes time to put the tree in the hole.

4. D Felix

Can you demo one before you buy?

Like I said, it's been a while since I've used one, so I really don't remember how much they help with stabilizing the tree.

Dan

5. Foster

Foster LawnSite Member

The tree bit that I have is a 36" two stage auger. That means that the bottom portion cuts a 12" hole before the 36" top. In order to stop glazing the sides of the hole, I move back and forth, and side to side with the skidsteer. That makes the auger move around in the hole, instead of just an up and down motion. I have planted alot of trees this way and found it to be 'the ticket'. Regards, Foster

6. jd4310

jd4310 LawnSite Member

I asked if I could demo and they said no, when you say glazing the sides do you mean where the sides of the hole are slick looking. And then when you move your skidsteer around it breaks the sides up some for better root penetration, etc...? Thanks for your help guys.

7. D Felix

That's exactly what glazing is. The problem with it is that it basically forms an barrier that cannot be penetrated by tree roots.

If they won't let you demo one, will they let you rent one? Or at least tell you who in the area has one for rent? If they won't demo, how do they expect to sell it?

Dan

8. jd4310

jd4310 LawnSite Member

I could probably rent one, I didn't think about that. I wonder if they have one in their rental fleet. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks for your help.