tree care question

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by mrkosar, Jul 1, 2008.

1. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

i have no experience with tree care and don't plan on getting into it, but was wondering if anyone applies a natural control for japanese beetles?

2. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

There are strains of bacillus thurengensis that control them in the soil at the larval stage. there is also an off the shelf product, milky spore it is a diiferent strain that I don't remember off the top of my head

it does not control the adults, just kills off the larval stage, the fungus enter the gut and it eats the grub from the inside out. The grub then becomes BIO-MASS

3. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

I am currently testing different products myself, nothing big, just home remedy type stuff. As of right now there is nothing that controls the adults, organic or traditional. The stuff ICT was talking about works for grubs BUT if you don't apply your neighbors and their neighbors then you still have beetles. Next year I plan on putting out A LOT of traps away from my roses to see if that helps at all. They say traps attract more than they catch but I am thinking if I can attract them away from my roses and into the trap it might make a difference. I think I got started a little late to get a good barrier going. I sprayed my current solution, and came back the next day. Not a beetle in sight.

Any thoughts as to why?

I was there too early, I came back about lunch and they were swarming as usual. Talk about a downer.

4. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

nothing that's all natural, there's some thing on the horizon, its a bio chem, that's it for the real 80+ percent efficacy treatments. fipronil wont hardly touch them!!!

neem oil will help some...................

5. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

what do the chemical tree guys spray then?

6. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

mrkosar,
    You have not been clear as to adult stage or larval so an answer is difficult, it gets a bit complicated to do this without great experience in the field.

Call me in the office 410-997-5450, we can send you to 2 very reputable tree people both backed by bayer

7. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

8. GaGolfSup

GaGolfSup LawnSite Member

I would be really interested in an organic treatment. I have a Purple Leaf Plum tree that they absolutely demolish. I have been using Bayer Tree and Shrub Insecticide. It contains Merit and is systemic. It works, but I hate using it because I try to stay away from chemicals. I only use it because they basically defoliate my tree if I don't The beetles will munch on my Crepe myrtles, roses, and cherry trees, but the damage is always minimal, so I just let nature take its course.

9. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

Hey, I'm baaaaaaack!

Natural controls of Jap Beetles? If you guys find something, let me know.:)

Jap Beetles were first introduced to the US about 10 miles from my house in the early 1900's. They tried everything except Napalm. Seriously, it's hard to control them in the adult stage. I've used many pesticides over the years. They all required multiple applications, except Merit if applied several months in advance.

Natural control methods of the grub stage includes milky spore (can take up to 3 years and does not control other beetle species), nematodes, Bt (I'm not so sure about the effectiveness), and traps (put them on your neighbor's property).

One good method to control grubs in a lawn is to let the lawn go dormant when adults are laying eggs in the soil.
    If the soil is hard & dry, they will go elsewhere to lay eggs.
    Unfortunately, this will not prevent the adult beetle from traveling a distance to feed on their favorite roses, plum, or linden trees. :(

10. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

long time no read