Tree Climbing Gear

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by trailboss, Oct 1, 2006.

1. trailboss

trailboss LawnSite Member

What type of gear do you use to instal moon lights?
    Does anyone use tree climbing equipment like rope ascenders/descenders - rapelling gear? I'm always interested in finding out if there is a more efficient way of doing things.

2. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

24 ft extension ladder altho I do have some klien gaffs still from when I used to climb phone poles. Would just have to change the spikes out I beilive. I do use my safety belt I have

3. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

I only use a 32' extension ladder. You have to remember that the lamps are going to have to be changed and the fixtures will have to be serviced regularly.

4. NightScenes

Billy, please don't use spikes in the trees!! You can cause serious damage and infection to a living tree.

5. Pro-Scapes

Im getting to old for spikes. I got no desire to climb like a monkey anymore

6. NightScenes

Good for you!! Me neither. That's why I have a crew!

7. Pro-Scapes

I cant yet trust my crew to do a tree light. We have not done many of them. Lost soooo many good trees around here during katrina. There is an electric company here installing HID's 60 ft up in trees with a bucket truck.... looks nice on the ground but obnoxious coming down the road to see UFO looking lights in the tops of trees. I can create the same ground effect at 25 ft high

8. trailboss

trailboss LawnSite Member

We use ladders to get up in the tree but when you have several fixtures to hang high in a tree it's a little tough to get down and move a ladder around every few minutes. I would like to get educated on some of the essential items tree climbers use that allow them the freedom to move around easier up in the tree.

9. Pro-Scapes

I would look twoards meeting with a certified arborist in your area. Rememeber free climbing trees would probably open up a whole new liability so make sure your insured for it. As paul stated it does damage the trees some so also make sure your client under stands you will have stick marks all the way up the tree.

Where are you at and how high are you going ?

10. rb_in_va

rb_in_va LawnSite Member
    from VA

Paul stated that spiking the tree would open it up to infection. It's possible to climb without spikes. Check out www.arboristsite.com Lots of good info there.