1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Tree cutting nightmare

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Liquidfast, May 19, 2006.

1. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I know this has been said several times but I have to tell my story. I landed a LAW office (of all places) for snow removal, I put my bid in and landed year round property maintenance. My phone rings and the customer requests I maintain one of the owners homes. I agree.

After viewing the property, estimating and landing that one, I thought I would show my stuff and mention that their retaining wall required work (poorly done, I have to take pics to show you guys just how bad) and a tree falling onto their garage was imminent. "Chop it down Mr. Landscaper" they say. I am not covered by insurance to hack em down but figured I have several guys, we can do it. WRONG. First mistake was trying to keep their price down as I bill them $950 month for property maintenance plus salt for winter, fert for summer, anyway its just me and my partner. The tree is leaning toward the garage, its 7pm and they are arriving the next day and expect it down. With my trusty rope, and my iron man partner, we start choppin..........lets just say, I am glad my partner was a roofer and we had a grease gun onboard. The tree came down narrowly missing the garage but catching it with branches, tearing off shingles and destroying the retaining wall and gutter. In total, not a bad days work. If the tree only fell the other way, we would have been out in 20 minutes. If it fell 5 feet further in the other direction, the damage would have been in the thousands. Not worth it for a $400 job.

NEVER AGAIN, Lesson learned.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

That sucks, i have tried tree trimming if you did a job at a 1000 bucks double your price and you will still lose money.
  3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

The lesson was learned before you even attempted doing the work.You pretty much knew what would happen and did it anyway.Pushing the envelope of saftey is your lesson to be learned here.You both could have been killed.
  4. P & L Turf

P & L Turf LawnSite Senior Member

Thats why you make friends with more than one tree company. I've been in the same situation, only I was at a friends house, and we were taking our sweet ol time to make sure nothing like that would happen. It;s okay though, you can chalk that one up on the board as a learning experience.
  5. Guthrie&Co

Guthrie&Co LawnSite Senior Member
    from nc

meanwhile 1 million occurance and 2 million insurance per year is 350 bucks. your an idiot for not having it
  6. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Cutting down trees the RIGHT WAY takes practice. Get all the practice you need cutting trees in a hurricane deevestated area...:usflag:
  7. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I have a 2 million policy....just read it today, does not include tree removing.
  8. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

During the hurricanes we had my insurance called me a couple of times saying I was not covered for tree work
  9. Landscapes-r-us

Landscapes-r-us LawnSite Member

Only trees that I will cut down are those WELL away from ANY property. My policy is, it will have to fall NO LESS than 200 feet away from any building or damagable structure.
  10. godzilla

godzilla LawnSite Senior Member

$350 / year for 1 mil may cover you for landscaping, but surely not for trees.