1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

tree cutting price

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by fastcat, Mar 19, 2008.

1. fastcat

fastcat LawnSite Senior Member

need some help with a price on cutting down these 2 dead pine trees. they are about 60 feet tall and around 20 inches in diamater. it is the 2 dead pine trees behind the house.

2. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

i would charge atleast $350 each..
  3. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

agreed, 700ish, assuming you have a place to drop them. they really dont look like there are too many branches cosidering the size, so an easier cleanup
  4. smcunningham

smcunningham LawnSite Senior Member

If I can take them down as one drop then about 350$each If I gotta climb them then about 475$ each..Also I have a risk factor which I can't tell from the pics...how close to the house are they, do they lean towards the house??? Being bonded and certified is not cheap in Maryland for arbor care. Also depends on how close I can get a chipper and trailer to the pines..If I can't get a chipper close can I run a skid loader across the turf and how far across the turf...gotta fix ruts and overseed and straw and hope the home owner waters it.
  5. fastcat

fastcat LawnSite Senior Member

there is a tree farther behind the house that i can run my rope around and pull directly away from the house and the tops may end up in the pond but if they do i will just pull them back on land with the rope.i was thinking around $800. there are 2 more trees close to the house that are on the neighbors proerty that are dead also so i might be buying some tree spur gear. i have been looking for a good reason to buy some anyway so i might have just found one.
  6. SimonCX

SimonCX LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry but if you have to ask about those trees you probably shouldn't be doing them. Dropping dead trees is alot more dangerous then live ones and if they are completly dead no climbing.
  7. McVey Landscaping

McVey Landscaping LawnSite Member

If they will come down easy with no obstructions, I would say in the $700-850 range for both. Good luck with the pine gets messy. :usflag::walking:
  8. smcunningham

Not trying to be a jerk or a @$$hole but I have to agree.
  9. SimonCX

SimonCX LawnSite Senior Member

Yup, not trying to be a a$$hole but usually if someone has done tree work before they know how to price trees and what not to do with dead trees. The idea of pulling a dead tree like you said you are asking for problems and dropping a 60ft pine on a house is not a joke. Spurring a dead tree if you have no where to tie off to a live tree is asking to fall. If you want to do tree's start small where there is no chance of damaging or hurting anything.
  10. smcunningham

Again not trying to be a jerk or a @$$hole but if you never used spurs before or only have a little bit of experience using them, then I would'nt suggest gaining exp. by using them in a high risk situation ie; a dead pine within distance of doing prop damage to a house. Also do you have a top handle saw, harness, climbing rope, flip line w/ steel core, life line rope, some other high point besides the top of the pine to anchor from. Rigging gear,carabiners, another climber with gear and capable of using it,standing by in case something happens to you while your climbing so he can come get you down....ie;you cut your self w/ the saw drop 3' life line catches you and you bang your head into the tree and get knocked out. If this would happen (I don't wish this upon anyone)How much do you think you would leak out(the red stuff) If you don't have some one to come get you down asap. Not trying to scare you or say your not capable of task @ hand. Just saying tree work is very dangerous even if you don't have to climb!....Oh yeah for your imfo...I've had to climb and retrieve an unconsous climber before, he was bleeding real bad....I pasted the fire trucks and ambulance 3/4 of the way to the ER. After I climbed retrieved him(he came to while I was rigging him to be lowered to the ground and was freaking out not cooperating) And he had 5 years exp. climbing ever day to my 1 yr exp. and that was like 5 or 6 years ago.
    Again not trying to say your not exp. just be careful and good luck and remember safety first no matter what.