Tree disease ID

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Billpa, May 1, 2005.

1. Billpa

Billpa LawnSite Member
    from pa

Can anyone tell me what is wrong with this cherry tree? I know the pic is a bit fuzzy but if you look closely you’ll see many of the branches have growths about 3 inches long which make the branch several times it’s normal thickness in the affected area, the best way to describe it would be to say it looks like a tumor, I’m assuming it’s some sort of disease but just guessing.

Thanks

2. Billpa

Billpa LawnSite Member
    from pa

sorry try this again

Tree 2.JPG

3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Could be Black knot,if the swellings start off green and turn blackish and appear scattered throughout the twigs and branches,could be Buffalo tree Hopper
    if the bark is rough and cracked,the pest makes slits in bark that opent the way to many fungi and diseases.But it most likely is a pest,or small wasp that lays it's eggs in the bark and the larve create galls and growths as they grow and feed,also could be bark beetle of some kind.
    Need better pics for sure to tell.Clearer and from several sides of the tree as well as a few close ups of affected branches.

4. Billpa

Billpa LawnSite Member
    from pa

Thanks for the reply.

I’m going to call them with a ballpark for a water feature and if they like it I’ll look further into this tree and get some more pics.

Thanks again

5. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, it's black knot and the only 'cure' is to remove the damaged areas and hope that the disease vector (how it was acquired in the first place) is no longer active in the area (close enough to re-infect it). It travels from tree to tree and is very common here in Northern Vermont

6. Billpa

Billpa LawnSite Member
    from pa

Hi Kate,
    thanks for the reply. There are two more trees of the same specie very close to this one, canopies are 4 foot or so apart but they both look fine. Wonder how it got there in the first place? If I remember correctly there was a lot of this on the tree so it may not survive the surgery :) if it did it would probably look pretty sad, I’m not sure we’ll even be going back there, they didn’t give off a warm fuzzy vibe so I’m just gonna ballpark the water feature and go from there.

Thanks for the help

7. Markf

Markf LawnSite Senior Member

Black knot with out a doubt. I lost three cherry plums to the fungus. The trees need to be sprayed every spring to prevent the fungus. Unfortunately, I forgot the name of the chemical. Check with the local coop.

8. Billpa

Billpa LawnSite Member
    from pa

Thank you sir :)

Just searched the web and found this article
    http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/3000/3011.html Thought I’d share it so anyone searching in the future can read it.

9. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks Kate and Mark,I could not tell by the pic exactly what it was,glad you knew for sure.

10. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

Keep in mind that the referenced article discusses PREVENTION, it's not talking about controlling the already infected portions of any plum or cherry.