1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Tree farming

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Starling Lawn, Sep 3, 2001.

1. Starling Lawn

Starling Lawn LawnSite Member

Does anyone know where I can find info on tree farming?I`m looking for the care of the trees.I know where to get liner plants.Thanks,Dave
  2. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

I recommend that you start by contacting the ANLA, phone # 202.789.2900. They can send you a list of publications to order and give you some direction. Have you assessed your growing site for suitability? Have you determined the type of trees you can grow there? Next, contact your state Nursery and Landscape Association. They can help you with making the choices suited to your locale. Remember that it takes several years of work before you sell your first tree, so this is not a get-rich quick endeavor.
  3. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Our tree farms(2) have been around for about 5 years(run as a separate division) ...This is the first year that it will show a profit....we put in about 1000 trees a year. Not a big operation at all.
    It gives us a bit of a edge(can quote a little lower at times)..had a customer recently come tag 75 for there residence.. They like being able to do that and also saves you the grief if you bring a tree blind and they don't care for it.