Tree fert and treatments

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by gardenkeeper88, Nov 10, 2006.

1. gardenkeeper88

gardenkeeper88 LawnSite Senior Member

Thinking about getting into Fertilizing and treatment on larger trees. Has / does anyone use Tree Tech microinjection systems? Fert is what i'm mostly interested in but the pesticides would be a plus too.

2. Russ

Russ LawnSite Senior Member

We have a tree & shrub program. It is a great addition to the lawn applications. We use the "Wedgle" for microinjection.

3. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

how large of trees are you planning on treating? i deeproot feed, and do trees that are 8 caliper inch and less. most trees that are larger should have extensive enough feeder roots, and should not need feed. also, the amount of fert to treat a tree that is larger is tremendous! when you figure that it takes 5gal per caliper inch of tree (if you do it the correct way, not the TG or scotts way)

4. Neal Wolbert

Neal Wolbert LawnSite Senior Member

Where did you get the 5 gals. per diameter inch recommendation? What would be in the 5 gals? Trees of all sizes can benefit from root fertilizer treatments if there is a nutrient deficiency, or stress is taking it's toll.
    Neal

5. gardenkeeper88

gardenkeeper88 LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think that I want to get into deep root feeding. I guess I have to look into. But don't I need a Tank on a truck and all. I have acouple of customers that I know right now that have had a tree or more stressed from construction work. The only company I know of that does any feeding is TG/CL I do not want to recommend them. So when I saw the micro injection system I thought this might be a new service to offer plus control leaf minor on river birch, and saw w/ the wedgle system they have control for crab w/ apple scab. I do not carry a tank for my lawn fert. and I'm not going to get that type for tree app. that i would be doing prob less. I would guess that you charge about 60-70 for a tree thats about 10" across?

6. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

You can also feed with a Kioritz soil injector. It's a hot mix, but just as effective if not more so. It is also the best way to meter exactly how much fert you deliver.

7. Russ

Russ LawnSite Senior Member

We are gettin 10-15 bucks per injection site for the Wedgle and injecting every 4" at the root flair.

8. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

thats the instructions on the bag, now i don't use that much, because i have yet to find ground to take that much. for me a 8" tree will take about 20gal of product using a grid patern extending out about 2-3' past the dripline. now on pines (and oaks too) in this part of the country you need a fert that is loaded with iron or they they will have a hard time in the non-acidic soil and i will try to get the full amount of product in the ground. that was the way i was tought and it seems to work, also we only feed once per year and it's in the fall.

9. Neal Wolbert

Neal Wolbert LawnSite Senior Member

teeca, I assume you are adding water to some dry soluble fertilizer from a bag, am I right? My I ask which brand and what the analysis and ingredients are?
    Neal

10. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

We only fertilize newly planted trees...It is my opinion that older trees have too great a root system spread over too large an area to deep root feed them