1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Tree fungus (PICS)

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mg10117, Jul 5, 2008.

1. mg10117

mg10117 LawnSite Member

These are two trees in my yard that have some kind of fungus...I was hoping some one could give me some advice on what it is and what to do. Thanks again.

trees 001.JPG

trees 002.JPG

trees 005.JPG

trees 006.JPG

KACYDS LawnSite Senior Member

Google the word "Lichen" , this should help.
  3. PHS

PHS LawnSite Senior Member

They aren't causing any problems so there's no need to treat them.
  4. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

The are definately lichens, they are using those tress as a home. Lichens are very cool things, read up on them and their symbiotic relationships
  5. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

I would be more concerned w/ the bark mulch volcano that has buried the flair on the tree. The bark will rot off no fluid movement up or down and the tree will die. You dont have to pull it all back just arounf the base.
  6. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

WHO IN THE H*LL started that practice it is so stupid, if the tree survives it will be girdled by roots and die. Its a lose lose propisition

and looks stupid in my opinion
  7. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Right, lichens grow in wet climates. Hello, mulch holds in water, right next to the tree trunk. Causing girdling by rot. I would not want mulch anywhere near trees in a wet area. If the mulch was to keep grass away from the trunk, that's what RoundUp and Surflan are for.
  8. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

I will argue the point of no need to treat. While lichens itself is not harmful to the tree it does cause a perfect environment for Algae to grow. The Algae eats into the bark and slowly kills the tree. Citrus farmers in my area will treat lichens and Algae about every 3 years to keep groves healthy. BTW the average life of a citrus tree in a grove is about 12 years. Citrus farmers cult trees each year and replant to keep groves at maximum production.
  9. PHS

PHS LawnSite Senior Member

Typically in situations like this there are extenuating circumstances that justify non-standard treatments. The exception doesn't disprove the rule. Both agriculture and landscaping are full of crop specific treatments that don't necessarily pertain to the other industry or to other crops within that industry. If you have some research on this I'd be interested to see the story behind the story. I did a number of internet searches as wasn't able to find any information on it.
  10. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

Lichens grow harmlessly on tree trunks and no control is necessary. They are considered an indicator of good air quality. :)They are extremely sensitive to sulfur dioxide and are not usually found in industrial areas. Lichens rarely develop on rapidly growing trees, probably because the bark is shed before the lichens have time to spread. There may be more lichens on a mature, declining, or less vigorous tree, due to slower growth rate. Lichens themselves do not cause the decline.