Tree Help

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by scottt, Mar 28, 2002.

1. scottt

scottt LawnSite Senior Member

I am looking for a tree with red foliage throughout the summer. It must be able to take full sun in zone 6. We have some fairly brutal weather here in the summer. I know a couple for shade, but not for full sun. Thank you

2. PAPS

PAPS LawnSite Senior Member

Try a "Thundercloud" purple plum tree.........

3. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

Red Maples might be ok

4. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy LawnSite Senior Member

red/crimson maple just like NNJ landman said. if you are looking for a small/oramental tree maybe try japanese maple, beach tree/verigated beach , or plum tree

5. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

Red Maple is the common name for Acer Rubrum. This has green leaves during the summer and red fall foliage. The maples that have red foliage during the summer are mostly Japanese Maples. One of the larger ones is "Bloodgood".

6. diginahole

diginahole LawnSite Member

Acer 'Crimson King' Maple will provide shade, loves full sun, and has red leaves all summer.

7. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

I would consider the leaves of the Crimson King to be a very dark purple. You should probably look at the choices to find what will work for you.

8. chargincharlie5

chargincharlie5 LawnSite Member

dont forget them maple trees drop alot of leaves in the fall have two in my yard but if ya got a good mulching mower no problem i chop em up till there is not mutch left would have taken twenty bags to hold i use two

9. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

This is one of my favorites here .

‘Bailey’ Schubert Chokecherry (P. virginiana) – grows 8-10m with clusters of attractive black fruit in the fall. Early in the season, the new growth is green in contrast to the older purple leaves. Later in the summer, the tree remains purple until the fall.

10. scottt

scottt LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the help. After talking with the customer a little more, I doubt I will get the job. She wants to spend $150 or less on the tree. I said fine, but it will be fairly small. She then tells me another landscaper put in 6-8' bradford pears in for $80 a piece with a one year warranty. I can't see how anyone can make money on that. I am installing two 12' b&b crapemyrtles for $375 each with a one year guarantee, my cost is $160 each. I think my prices are fair, but am I wrong? Again, thank you.