1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Tree Identification

Discussion in 'Nurseries and Growers' started by sines of lawncare, Mar 1, 2008.

1. sines of lawncare

sines of lawncare LawnSite Member

Hey Guys I am looking for some information on how to identify trees by there bark no rare ones just the common ones: elm oak (red/white) cherry ash hickory walnut maple etc. I have started clearing or cleaning up a customers woods for him and I would like to know what I am cutting I have some ideas but would like to gain some knowledge. is there any picture guide out there for bark?
    Thanks for your help!!:confused::hammerhead:

2. Ford850

Ford850 LawnSite Member

3. oakhillslandscaping

oakhillslandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

go to amazon or half.com and order a dirr book that will get you started

4. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

go to your local ag. extension office , they should have some there.:usflag:

5. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

"Michigan Trees Worth Knowing" by Norman F. Smith, published by Hillsdale Educational Publishers.

This was one of my college texts from back in the late 70's. It has most of the trees common to your area as well. Very handy guidebook. I don't know if it is still available, but it was a few years back.