Tree Information Needed

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by nasandsons, Aug 13, 2001.

1. nasandsons

nasandsons LawnSite Member

I was wondering if anyone could provide some information on a tree that I saw here in New Hampshire. It is approximatey 5 feet tall and has deep purple flowers. This tree has had its flowers since the mid spring and still continues to bloom. The leaf is somewhat similar in shape to a Dogwood's. I have asked at a local nursery, but they did not know what type of tree it is.
  2. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

tell you what kind of tree it is off the top of my head, but you'd probobly be better off posting this one level down in the landscaping forum if it doesn't get answered here soon.

Good Luck and sorry I couldn't help!
  3. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

My guess: Rose of Sharon (sp?) They look more like a shrub when young, but my neighbor has a mature looking one that resembles a crab apple tree and its branch structure (probably never really been pruned). Its about 15' tall with a canopy larger than its height. The purple flowers look like a dogwood's I think (when looking at them from a distance), only with longer petals.

OK I just re-read the post. The leaves are not similar so my guess is probably wrong. The Rose of Sharon has a pinnately lobed type of leaf.
  4. LSAdmin

LSAdmin Web Developer Staff Member

Maybe you'll have more chance to get an answer at - that forum is only about trees.

Hope this helps.

5. Vandora Lawn & Landscape

Vandora Lawn & Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Could you take a picture? It could be a sort of rhodendron.
  6. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Are the leaves the same?
  7. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member