Tree injection

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by T. Matthews, Feb 20, 2007.

1. T. Matthews

T. Matthews LawnSite Member

I'm thinking about offering this serivce, yes I have my pest. lic and i ve taken the mauget tree injection classes.......does anyone here do it.........is there much of a market for it?

2. T. Matthews

T. Matthews LawnSite Member

anyone out there

3. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

I've been going back and forth with this for some time. I have always been a fan of deep root injection. Mauget and Wedgle are far easier and faster, but then you end up with a wound opening. I've read studies, both good and bad, about drilling into a tree, but I'm not sure I want to go that route just yet. I have reservations about drilling into a tree that I have an insect or disease issue to begin with.

4. Neal Wolbert

Neal Wolbert LawnSite Senior Member

The wounding issue is a big one, that's for sure. But if you think of the total sq. inches of wounding that drilling for Mauget injection might cause for say a 20" tree, it would less than cutting a 1" to 1.5" branch off the tree. We wouldn't think twice about doing that.
    Neal

5. Grassmechanic

Neal - I understand where you are coming from with the pruning comparison. I've thought of that myself. However, most pruning cuts are done in the "collar" where there is a faster healing process than a drill hole in the trunk. Pruning cuts can also be delayed in most cases, during a season when there is lower disease/insect pressures. Many times, clients will want you to treat a tree when it is showing symptoms, not before. I have many reservations about making a wound channel in a tree during a period of high insect and disease pressure. I always think about the ramifications before any pruning takes place.

6. Dollar Spot

Dollar Spot LawnSite Member

I have used mauget for years and it has been effective on dogwood borer. A good read on tree wounds is 'Compartmentalization of trees' by Alex Shigo. He did research on this for many years at the USDA.

I look at the wound as insignificant if your going to loose the tree and you don't have an effective alternative treatment.

7. Grassmechanic

I've attended a good many seminar by Shigo. It's too bad he passed not long ago. I'm not saying that Mauget or Wedgle apps are ineffective. They all basically use the same chems. I also agree with you about wounding a tree as a last ditch effort. However, ferts and preventative applications and the holes they leave is what I worry about, especially with something like oak wilt.

8. Dollar Spot

Dollar Spot LawnSite Member

Hey Mike, do you have emerald ash borer up there?

9. Grassmechanic

Yes. Very bad.

10. boats47

boats47 LawnSite Member

T. Matt, Why not treat with a standard ground jet injection of Merit? We have been using this for years, just remember your treating for the next year, and extremely effective. If some one is looking for instant results do a folliar spray. Just a thought.