Tree Injections making me go mad!!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Rayholio, Feb 1, 2006.

1. Rayholio

Rayholio LawnSite Bronze Member

I need some input from someone smarter than me :)

I've been looking at the arborjet trunk injection systems, and in the mean time advertizing my new seasonal tree services.. What I am promising the customers is one fertilizer treatment, and one pest resistance treatment per year..

after talking to my arborjet rep, he's telling me that I need to charge $2-$5 for each caliper inch on the fertilizer, and $5-$10 per inch on the pest resistance.

After doing some math for one customer with 27 medium / large trees on his lawn, it would cost him over 3 grand to get the seasonal tree injections... that's 4 times more than he's paying for the 7 treatment seasonal lawn treatments!

Is arborjet charging too much for their chemicals? or should I not be messing with trunk injection?

ArborJet actually led me to believe that other brands of chemicals wouldn't be compatible with their injection system... This couldn't be true.. could it?

Please gimmie some suggestions... I can't send a quote like this to my customers..

Thanks in advance!
    -Ray

2. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

It sounds in the ballpark to me. Don't make the mistake of comparing tree care to lawn care. I had an apartment complex that had 22 LARGE sycamores. I injected them all with Mauget for anthracnose. The bill was $2500 and that was less than my competitors would have charged. The thing here is that they were losing 75% of their leaves in June. I injected them and the next year control was excellent. We then weened them off after 2 seasons. That is the expertise that comes with the product and service.

3. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I like the Mauget's they, work excellent on the palms and are not too expensive. Can't help with any other technical info. One thing I can suggest is you need to disassociate your comfort level with $$$ and let the customer decide what is and is not too expensive. Things cost what they cost. I wouldn't be letting my supplier set my price either. I am happy to know what the market rate is, but only I know what my costs are and what I need to bring in.

4. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Excellent advise!

5. FINN

FINN LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA.

One thing I can suggest is you need to disassociate your comfort level with $$$ and let the customer decide what is and is not too expensive. Things cost what they cost.

Well said!

6. Rayholio

heheh, Yea, I usually don't have a problem with that.. I'm allready one of the most expensive services around. I spoke with one person who told methat Tru-Green had done their tree fertilizations for $300... so my $3000 seemed more than a little high..

7. SodKing

Tru-crud deep root feeds their fertilizer for trees. Think about the treatment and the replacement cost for that tree. $200-$300 is not much when trying to prevent/stop damage to a tree that may be worth $15,000-$30,000

8. Rayholio

Is deep root feeding worth a dang?

9. SodKing

My opinion, garnered after 18 years in the business and 4 at the university is that mature trees do not benefit as greatly as newly planted shrubs. A mature tree has the feeder roots far removed from the area that is being fertilized whereas a new tree has all the roots in the root ball. You won't generally see a difference when comparing the plant this year compared to last year, but if you compared two trees, one fertilized and one not, the fertilized tree will be roughly 30 to 50% larger with a more healthy vigor and leaf structure.

10. Rayholio

Yes... but do you think that I should offer deep feeding as an alternative to injections?