Tree Install

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by rockandroller, Nov 18, 2004.

1. rockandroller

rockandroller LawnSite Member

I just saw the thread about tree install prices, so sorry if this is overkill. I have an install job for 17 Pyramid Hornbeams with a 22" ball, 1 3/4- 2" diameter. The trees were already paid for, just labor on my end. What would you'll charge for this job? Also, how late in the season can I plant these trees? Thanks for the input..

2. jd boy

jd boy LawnSite Member
    from nw ohio

$100 / tree install fee.

if they are above ground already, you can plant until the ground freezes solid.

great early winter work!

3. rockandroller

Thanks JD Boy!

$100 per tree. Do you include your mulch and ammendments w/ that?

4. jimmyq

jimmyq LawnSite Member

$100 a tree? I would be charging a bit less than that depending on the soil. I usually do a flat rate delivery cost per load if I am hauling them or 1.5 times the cost of an independant hauler, plus about $30 (1 hour labor should be more than enough to dig a 2 foot hole) add $5 to $10 per tree for bone meal, transplanter, mulch etc and another $10 if it needs to be staked (double staked with strapping per ISA type method) then look at the total and knock it up a bit for profit.. so 17 trees, 1 load on the hiab truck (bout $250), 17 x $30, 17 x $10, 17 x $10 gets you - $1100 or $64.71 per tree. round it up a bit to $1250 and its more like $73.50 per tree. Pay three guys to dig holes at $15/ hour (for 6.5 hours = $97.50 * 3). at the end of the day you dont need to touch a shovel and you profit about $600 plus bucks. of course, if you can get $100 per tree you would be up about $1000 or more... best part is you dont need to lay out $ for the trees, if you did, make sure to charge the retail price and pay wholesale, keep the difference and you get to make even more!

5. treedoc1

treedoc1 LawnSite Senior Member

$100 is a good price for the client.
    $100 per tree includes pine fines for amendments, 1 bag of mulch per tree, and a cut edge ring. No warranty.
    Typically the tree won't need staking at that size...check your install spec from your client.

6. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

Also depends on how far trees have to be transported on property and how hard it is to get it there. As with alot of projects, everyone has their own opinions. If the soil is decent, a dingo with 30" auger would destroy those holes in about 2 minutes each. Then you could use it to transport the trees around easily with forks if you don't have a ball cart. I would price out at $75-100/ea. also. This is pretty much standard. Alot depends on your situation and what you can afford to do it for. I for one wouldn't pass it up for $75/ea. but add another $425, thats a nice amt

7. rockandroller

Thanks again for your replies. Much obliged! The trees were delivered curbside and I have to transport the buggers with a two wheel lawn cart. That sucked. Wish I had some of the bigboy equipt. Anyway, I was factoring that into the equation as well. The yard is pretty good size so the haul into the back was a chore itself. i don't think I can get $100 per. This is a really good customer and that might blow her mind a bit. I am thinking of coming between 60-70 per tree including ammendments. Not a bad payday for me. Especially toward the end of the year!

8. jimmyq

jimmyq LawnSite Member

I would highly suggest you get a $ agreement prior to the trees getting dropped off, way too easy for the customer to tear up and grind you out at the end of the day when the trees are in the ground, you have no bargaining power then!

9. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

You seem to be stuck on the amount of time it would take and not taking into account the expertise it takes to do the job right.Your knowledge is
    not just a service the actual labor is the service.Your knowledge if like mine was not cheap.It cost to maintain licences,certifications,and memberships.
    This cost considers that.

This is how I would have worked up the estimate.

The tree cost 140.00 wholesale

140.00 X 17 = 2380.00

140 x 2.5 = 350.00

350.00 x 17 = 5950.00

2380.00 for the trees sence you did not provide them

3570.00 Total for install turn key.

I hope someone has called Mrs Utitility or someone who marks the lines for you.

:)