Tree Leaning: Need Advice

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by zechstoker, Jan 16, 2013.

1. zechstoker

zechstoker LawnSite Senior Member

A customer of mine just asked me about this tree she has in the backyard, and wanted to know what we can do to save it from completely falling over. My idea was to maybe prop it up with a post from the left side by the house, and anchor it to the fence on the right side with a rope or wire. Would this work? What would be the most ideal way to fixing this? I told her I'd look into different options before giving her a price for this little job she wants done. Any suggestions/advice? Please and thank you!

CAM00174.jpg

2. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Cut it down and replace. It will take a few years to straighten it out

3. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

Why is it leaning?

4. zechstoker

I was looking at it, and wondering that myself. I didn't notice while I was there, but in the pic, it looks like there's a crack at the bottom of the trunk. Could just be glare from the sun, but I'm not sure. I'll have to take a 2nd look in person to confirm.

5. elbow300

elbow300 LawnSite Member

It looks like the tree is poorly placed anyway. Its way too big for the amount of space available now, and its still fairly young. She is going to have to constantly prune to keep it off the house.

6. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

Take a saw to it and then try something suited for the area.

7. zechstoker

It's definitely poorly placed, and there's a 2nd one of these that's smack up against the fence too about 15 feet away :hammerhead:. Whoever planted these needs their head examined.

8. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

Cut down and replace. That seems a little far gone. You can see in the pick, the very bottom of the trunk is curved pretty good

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Simply drive a steel post close to fence and tie tree to it. Then even out the load on the tree by thining. It will be fine.

10. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Simply cut the crown down to half its current size and prune the side branches drastically as well... Its only too large if it isn't properly pruned... she has a tree that has outgrown the shade, between the house and the wooden fence... throwing it away becuz you don't feel like pruning is simply a waste...
    What would you plant in a shady narrow spot like that , that doesn't need pruning???
    We are in the habit of pruning lots of things on a regular basis because we don't have any perfect plants... :)