1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Tree or Bush ID

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by kirk1701, Sep 9, 2012.

1. kirk1701

kirk1701 LawnSite Gold Member

Have a neighbor wanting to know what this is, any idea guys?

Not dogwood I compared to my wild dogwood and the berries on the dogwood are oval and not shinny.

Has about 6 feet of growth this year and wants to know when to cut it back and if the birds will eat the berries.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance.

2. Ticolawnllc

Ticolawnllc LawnSite Senior Member
    from Wall NJ

It looks like a dog wood to me. The leaves are opposite. The leaves look like a dog wood. Do you have a pic of the plant.

It could be you have a different verity of dogwood.

3. kirk1701

unfortunately not, the plant is not across the street or I'd take a pic. He got it from somewhere he's working.

Have to check and have him ask the lady if it blooms in the spring.

4. nparish

nparish LawnSite Member
    from KCMO

Dogwood trees that fall into the cornus florida species usually have red berries. These are the trees commonly associated with the name flowering dogwood, including the red, pink and white flowering dogwood trees. The cornelian cherry dogwood tree, or cornus mas, has red fruit, as does the kousa dogwood, or cornus kousa.

5. kirk1701

I have/had some kousa's and those berries are about the size of a grape or larger.

As I said, dogwood was my first thought too but he said he ruled that out however I'll double check and make sure it doesn't bloom in the spring.

6. Ticolawnllc

from Wall NJ

Mad horse
    Maple
    Ash
    Dogwood
    Horse chestnut
    Those are the ones I know have opposite leaves. It's not a maple or horse chestnut and it doesn't look like an ash leaves.

7. Ticolawnllc

from Wall NJ

8. kirk1701

Ok guys, went with my neighbor this morning to get compost and topsoil for the fall renivating and we swung by and got pics, hope these help. The one I took of the bark is out of focus but the camera focused in on the other branches so they are in focus.

Now I see it's not a dogwood

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

That looks like what we got growing all over the woods... it like a huge weed in the under story of the forest... don't know what it's called... :)

10. kirk1701

I thought about that also when I first seen the sample he brought me, but I thought nahhh no one would plant a weed?

Unless its "weed" :laugh: