1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Tree people input needed

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by tthomass, Aug 29, 2006.

1. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

I've honestly have just been looking at trees and seeing what its worth to me to cut it. I know I'm coming in well under area tree companies but how do you go about figuring a charge for dropping a tree? Some guidelines.

Example: got no more than a 16" diameter, 45-50ish tall tree to drop........Maple I believe...........its dead. Easy drop and cut it up and haul away. Now I'm thinking $600 and companies around me I would guess at $1000 for the job but I really don't know.

So its known, I do not go any higher than I can get at about 20' with a ladder so I don't do any of the swing around and so on. That I sub out to extended extended extended family (like that?). So I know if it is something I can handle or not and go from there. I don't want to hit houses or cars etc.
  2. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

If you have insurance they may not cover tree cutting so if you do something wrong your done.Sub it out that's what I do.
  3. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

don't mess with the trees and sub out...tack on a little for your trouble
  4. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Trees are risky, make sure the insurance is there because each tree jobs comes with it's own complications. Subbing is the way to go.
  5. jazak

jazak LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I'd sub, dad did trees for 20yr.s and had about 6+ loyal LCOs sub him out easy 12 jobs each a yr. If its in an open area, no houses, cars, ext then do it yourself if not then sub it and like said above tack on some$$$$.
  6. rb_in_va

rb_in_va LawnSite Member
    from VA

Dead trees act differently than live trees. Like already stated if the tree is not in the open leave it alone and sub it out.
  7. start2finish

start2finish LawnSite Senior Member

another angle is to develop a relationship with a tree company and have them drop the trees so you can clean them up. I have a couple of good friends in the tree business that I repair damaged lawns and they drop the mean ones.
  8. kmann

kmann LawnSite Senior Member

Tree insurance down here costs a ton.
  9. richallseasons

richallseasons LawnSite Senior Member

10. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

If I was going to sub it out then the post might have said something like "help subbing out a tree".............but since that is not it, I am wondering about pricing trees, not cutting them.

Because I am unsure how to price a tree has nothing to do with my ability to drop one. I grew up on a farm and have been doing these sorts of things for 15 years. The tree is NOT a problem to drop. If it was then YES I would sub it out and that is no prob. I'm just trying to get info on tree "pricing".........but anyway, thanks for the good look'n out as I know there are the random post like:

"yesterday I was a computer software tech but now after reading thsi book I got at Home Depot I'm gonna be a landscaper now":hammerhead: