Tree planting on a hill

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by ripple, Mar 27, 2006.

1. ripple

ripple LawnSite Member

Does there exist a tool for digging holes on a hill?

The client lives on the down hill side of the road and wants a tree line up by the road...but the hill starts steep about 10' off the road.
    Need to plant 40 trees on this hill so a pick and shovel are out of the question!
    I have used a 30" power auger attachment on a toro compact machine but I think this hill is too steep.
    Any suggestions?

2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Can you get us a few pictures?A pick and shovel are not out of the question!Sometimes they are the only solution!

3. ripple

ripple LawnSite Member

I will get some pics....but basically its just a road that cuts across a steep hill...and I need to plant trees (6'-8' hemlocks) and 40 of them.
    I was hoping there is some sort of power BOOM auger that I could rent....

4. sheshovel

How are they going to hold on the hill once fully mature?

5. ripple

ripple LawnSite Member

If well maintained ie....proper soil when planted, lots of watering, Steaked up for the first year or two....the roots will hold...

6. sheshovel

How you going to water them up there?

7. sheshovel

In order to plant properly on a steep hill(I do not recommend doing so with trees that will be really big when mature)
    Then you are going to have to dig BACK into the hill to get a good base for a planting hole

8. sheshovel

'''''''''''''''''''''

Attached Files:

9. sheshovel

As you can see this creates a problem cuz rainwater rushes over the top of the rootball from above and scours away the soil aroung the trees roots.This causes them to fail and die usually

10. ripple

ripple LawnSite Member

Hmmmm....I 'll take pics so you can see ...maybe it is too steep...
    thanks for the replies