Tree Planting??

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Mrk'sLawn, Jul 25, 2006.

1. Mrk'sLawn

Mrk'sLawn LawnSite Member

I did a take down and a stump removal for a customer that had a tree damaged in a recent storm. I took the stump down ~6 - 8" but there are still parts of the root. Question is, can I plant a new tree in the same spot? The guy wants the same type of tree in the exact spot the other one was removed from. I would think the old roots would cause a problem when planting the new tree. All help would be appreciated.

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Get a grinder and take them out. Now's the time.

3. Mrk'sLawn

Mrk'sLawn LawnSite Member

I was wondering if I could plant in the same spot with a few of the roots remaining or, do they need to be completely taken out before I plant it? Also, other than digging out the dirt for the ball by hand what is the fastest way to dig it out? Thanks for your help.

4. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

The fastest way would be a back hoe, just my guess

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

When he get the estimate for a digging out stump they will be ready to move the new tree to another area.

6. KB Klippers

KB Klippers LawnSite Member

You need to grind any big roots...3" or bigger. It should not take you that long to dig anything out after a good grinding. Use the shavings to mulch around the base of the new tree, just make certain that you have plenty of dirt around the new ball. You should be able to dig a 3 foot ball in 10 minutes.

7. crab

crab LawnSite Senior Member

i would suggest not planting in that spot unless you remove the stump .And please do not mulch with the stump grindings [decomposition 101].by the way is there any one on this site who doesn't use techno block to build "retaining walls".

8. GardnerLandscaping

GardnerLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Sunset Books Landscaping with Stone is selling good with Better Homes & Garden copying their book in 2005. Stone is the latest craze around here.

There are lots of pictures to show different looks to a client. There are also decent instructions and pictures for installation of different types of retaining walls. There are some rough edges that they don't explain clearly, but should be ok if you you don't have a PITA for a customer.

I was trying to spec out a dry creek bed. The client was a PITA though and wanted to argue with the book to save money by bringing up links to different instructions on the Internet, some of which I already read. After spending hours trying to explain why he wants mountain rock stepping stones and any type of river rock or egg rock set on 2" of sand, especially when he has two kids, I had to eventually tell him I wasn't interested in the job, I involved my sister who has built one complete with french drain and landscaping, didn't want to get involved the first day she met him to survey the site.

out of curiousity, what is wrong with stump grindings? i read a guideline for tree installation. it didn't cover the steps of replacing an old tree, just the guidelines for replacing the tree if the city contractor failed to perform a step correctly in the installation process and the tree died.

9. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Well this depends upon what kind of tree was removed. What type of root system that kind of tree has. All mature tree's have surface roots that feed the tree and roots that anchor the tree as well.
    These roots simply decompose if left in the ground.
    Decompositions sucks nitrogen from the soil and the soil's fertility is already low from feeding the mature tree that has been there for years.
    As long as you pick a spot where you have plenty of room around the root ball to work in organic matter and good soil at least 3" or 4" wide from the outside edge of the new hole and several feet deeper than the root ball will sit in the hole (firming it) your tree should be fine.
    Also cut out any large roots that might obstruct the root growth of the new tree. Remove the masses of roots and replace with good soil and amendment.
    You may find this to be very difficult if the tree is a tree with an invasive root system. If that is the case
    then I suggest you wait a few months untell the old roots have died, making them easy to cut out.

10. GardnerLandscaping

GardnerLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

doesn't decomposing mulch like pine straw do this? or is it because things like roots or grass clippings decompose too quickly compared to hardwood mulch and pinestaw?