Tree Planting?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Kausion, Dec 30, 2006.

1. Kausion

Kausion LawnSite Member

hey. i was wondering what are the steps to planting a tree?

2. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

You have a computer and internet access - why would you need for us to tell you this VERY basic information?

Sorry, don't mean to snap at you, but questions like this don't belong here. FIRST - ALWAYS try the SEARCH function.
    And
    SECOND - this is a newbie question and, if you MUST post this sort of thing, it belongs in the just starting in business area.

Is the tree bareroot, pot in pot, or B&B? Are you digging a tree and moving it? Will it require equipment? What sort of soil? How many hours of sunlight? There are many other questions YOU must know the answers to before any of us can help you.

3. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

Wow... this forum is for learning!! I think these questions are great... usually somebody chimes in w/ a tip that I didn't know. I think we do need more info though.

For trees, you want to dig a hole twice the size of the container or basket. I usually try to get the top of the root ball even or 1" above grade. You may need to agrevate the root ball if it has root swirl. You want to try to avoid a swirling rootball, so as to ensure that the root system will grow correctly. I do not cover the top of the rootball w/ dirt. Some people recommend mounding a circle around the rootball(behind the hole) for water retention... some people don't. It really depends on the water situation... whether it will get alot or not enough. I water in the tree really good, then fill around the rootball where the dirt has settle. Then I stake it(if needed) w/ nylon tree strap and wooden stakes... then I mulch around the tree.

4. Allure

Allure LawnSite Senior Member

5. Lawnworks

from usa

Do you guys cut all of the burlap off of the top of the rootball of bnbs or just roll it back and cover it w/ soil?

6. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

Many people think it's OK to leave the burlap, but, more and more, job specs require the removal of both burlap and wire basket. Especially the twine/rope around the collar of the trunk.

7. Allure

Allure LawnSite Senior Member

i remove the burlap from the top of the ball. all twine is removed. I remove the basket when practical. I feel if you tuck to much of it down into the hole you are creating large air pockets. That can cause problems. It only takes a second to cut away from the top.

8. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Me:

All twine...........bye bye
    Cut above grade burlap off........its just extra
    Tuck the rest down with a shovel

IF possible.......remove all burlap which you can do in the hole just from rocking side-to-side but depends on ball condition. I also like to remove the wire basket when possible.

9. GFTC

GFTC LawnSite Member

http://www.treesaregood.com/treecare/tree_planting.aspx

Lots of good tree info here. Also remember to plant the tree at the proper depth. Most B & B trees you get from the nursery are already approx. 20% too deep, so dont be afraid to find the root flare that is buried by soil on top of the ball. Do your homework, because PROPER tree planting is not just dig a hole and drop it in. Theres more to it than that. Good luck and have fun.

10. Lawnworks

from usa

I have never removed the wire baskets and always have success. I have installed several 48" wide bnbs and I cannot imagine cutting away the basket.