1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Tree Price question???????

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by JW Lawn, May 12, 2007.

1. JW Lawn

JW Lawn LawnSite Member

A weekly customer called and wants a 15' weeping willow tree. I called a "friend" who owns a landscape company and he quoted me 250.00 delivered...its a 3.5" caliper trunk and 12-15 tall...Thats seems crazy expensive to me!!!!!!!!!!!! or is that about right?????? thanks

2. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Thats a deal delivered. My cost for a 2-2.5" Willow is $ 150.00 at the nursery.

3. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

That's a smokin deal if its #1 grade, even if it's not it is a willow for pete's sake; it will grow 5 feet next year and won't even look like the same tree.

4. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

That's a decent price for the tree, especially delivered, but it may still be a bad choice. Unless this tree is to be planted in an out of the way area or hopefully near a pond, it is going to be a maintenance headache. Weeping willows are dropping something 365 days a year. They are weak wooded and are prone to pest and disease issues. I'm sure it's what the customer wants, but maybe you can educate them towards a better choice.

Kirk

5. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

thats a deal! my cost would be 150 for that also!

6. orangeblossom

orangeblossom LawnSite Member

I just read this story. We would never do the job, for a tree as such, under $500.00.

We would pay about $125.00-$150.00 for the tree, and the rest would be profit.

7. JW Lawn

JW Lawn LawnSite Member

OK cool....Yep i planted it at the very back of his property and about 10-15' from a small stream....I charged him 420.00 to plant and stake.Thanks

8. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

we 300% most of our plantings which includes amendments, mulch, staking.

9. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

So you would retail a tree at 500 and then charge to install it? or just 500 for the tree and the install.