tree problem

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by vaacutabove, Mar 24, 2012.

1. vaacutabove

vaacutabove LawnSite Bronze Member

2. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

It is a flowering crab apple. Those (cankers) are disease. Not sure how they get there but have a feeling that they are caused by wasps laying eggs in the bark or some other insect. Try to cut each one out and burn them. Do not put in waste. Contact your local county extension agent with some of them. He/she may know of a insecticide/fungicide to treat them. You may have to hire a pro to inject the root area. Let me know what you do. Read this: http://www.ehow.com/how_5844882_save-diseased-crabapple-tree.html

3. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

Its an infection that can spread from tree to tree. You may want to call yur local dept of agriculture office and have the out breAk reported , DO NOT CUT the cankers off and throw in trash, by cutting it you are releasing the spores into the air. A fungicide spray may suppress the spreading.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. vaacutabove

I will be calling them monday. Any Ideas what I could spray it is real bad in this tree and small spots on another. I am Licensed but like I said not a tree guy I just picked up a spray contract and am also mowing and just mulched it. Would love some ideas. I want to get on this quick.

5. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Looks like sap to me.

6. dgw

dgw LawnSite Bronze Member
    from OH

spectator, 1 ounce in 25 gallons of water

spray until it drips

then do it every spring as a preventative even if its not a fungus

it prevents apple scab

7. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

Black Knot of PRUNUS.

Looks too far gone to supress with Daconil............Single Prune with a chain saw.

Best of luck.

8. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

9. vaacutabove

May have to take this one whole tree its on almost every branch
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

:laugh: Yea, I think that's what heritage and turf hokie were saying in a nice way

That is the worst case of canker I have ever seen.