Tree Question(s)

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by cpritch, Mar 7, 2006.

1. cpritch

cpritch LawnSite Member

I have a situation where a customer needs immediate screening, and I really mean screening as soon as humanly possible. She has a grandaughter that comes to visit quite regularly and the folks that live behind her are basically exhibitionists. No kidding. Currently in place is a 6 foot privacy fence, but unfortunately, her lot is lower and that privacy fence is not blocking view to their deck (hot tub) and bedroom/bathroom windows. The other main factor is that there are overhead power lines running the length of her back yard, 1.5 feet behind the privacy fence on the neighbor's side, approx. 18 feet off the ground at the lowest point in the center.

I'm thinking about slapping some Lombardy Poplar's in there, staggered with English Columnar Oaks. Anyone foresee any major issues with doing this? The homeowner is well aware that the Poplar's will most likely need to come down in 10-15 years, but ideally, by then, that will have given the Oaks enough time to provide adequate screening. I feel like a sh** planting trees knowing they will be short-lived, but this owner is desperate. Am I missing any other potential issues with this scenario? The Poplars will be planted 62 feet away from the house, 10 feet away from the fence; there are no underground water mains along the back fence, only overhead power lines on the other side of the privacy fence; there are some drainage issues to the NE corner of the lot that will be corrected before planting. I really hate it when I start overthinking things, but I'm there. :cry: Any input is appreciated.

2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I would stagger large Lelandii Cypress instead of your choices..You can buy them big and they grow really fast....

3. cpritch

cpritch LawnSite Member

:) You recommended Trees for Architecture to someone else on the board and I went and bought it. :rolleyes: The Leyland Cypress is not listed for Kansas and it's hardiness zone is 6. Granted, depending on which zone map you look at, we could be in 5 or 6, but do you still think that is a good pick?

4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Yes..I still do think they are a good choice for a fast screen but if you look through that book..it should show trees for screening in your state.

5. nocutting

nocutting LawnSite Senior Member

and why not a few ornamental pears [ callery],short trunk, tall canopy, spring flower,nice fall foliage, certainly bettry than the lombardi Poplars.:usflag:

6. Killswitch

Killswitch LawnSite Senior Member

Dont forget that in fifteen years those swingers are gonna be as old and wrinkly as those Poplars.......lol

Id consider some longer term protection!

lol

7. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees LawnSite Senior Member

In eudora use native Cedars they are all over there and they live easy instant privacy. If you need some we can help basket some for you. (816) 739-8733. Also have alot swamp white oaks, and Burr, and Red Oaks and austrian pines. We have a 30,42,65,90 tree spades if we can help.

8. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

I concur with She Shovels response. If you want a screen, go evergreen, thick and full. Leylands will do that very quickly. If you can, try to find them locally grown. They are hardy to at least zone 6A and if grown locally will be better adapted to your environment. Best to get them in large containers as the root system can be very temperamental and any plant that has had the majority of it's roots pruned for B&B will regrow a root structure before it puts out top growth. The leylands can be sheared and shaped if needed and a staggered planting can be full from day one and just keep getting thicker. You may also find other conifers in your area to add in to give your screen some interest and flowering trees or shrubs as a foreground to give it some color and you will have accomplished your clients need and still given them something appealing to look at.

If you are unable to find Leylands or you are in zone 5, Juniperus virginiana, Eastern red cedar is fast growing, thick and hardy to zone 3. There are many varieties that will accomplish what you are looking for.

Kirk

9. cpritch

cpritch LawnSite Member

I appreciate the input/advice! :waving:

10. PlantSolutions

PlantSolutions LawnSite Member

Another nice evergreen conifer is Cryptomeria japonica Yoshino - zone 6. This looks incredible staggered with Leylands.